The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. New here and semi-new to aquascaping.

A friend of mine gave me all her plants from her tank since she's moving. I put the plants in my tank a few days ago.

Then I realized I have NO idea what substrate I am using. I believe it's half eco-complete, and half gravel (Pic included). Can you tell me what I am using, if you can see it through the dirt in the pics, lol

and if this is bad for plants, should I switch out the gravel to add sand substrate or something? What do you suggest? Or what's the best way to have beautifully flourishing plants?

The LFS sold me proper lighting.. Life-Glo I think.. I gotta check the packaging again later.

20 gal tank, bunch of glow-tetras, 1 cory cat (which need to get another), and 1 hi-fin tetra.

please and thank you!

Attachments

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
All I can see from the pic is gravel. A mix of gravel and Eco can work just fine, though.

Sounds like you got a Hagen Glo T5HO fixture... and there's a good chance that you'll need to run CO2 on this tank and put together a balanced fert regimen in order to keep up with it.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
In that case, you're on the opposite end of what I thought- instead of so much light you'll need CO2, you actually don't have enough light to keep those stem plants alive. 15 watts of T8 over a 20gal tank is EXTREMELY low light. You'd do better with 2x that light, and I still think the stems are likely to get leggy...

If you don't care about the stem plants, you may have enough light for all the rosette plants, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.