The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the planning stages for my 20 gallon planted tank. I want to use Eco as my substrate. I figure I'll need about 1 1/2 - 2 bags to get a nice depth.
I plan to dust the bottom of the tank with Shultz Sphagnum Peat Moss and lay some Jobes plant spikes over it. One thing that concerns me is how do I go about using a gravel vac with out sucking up the Peat or spikes.

Any advice is greatly welcomed.

Dan

·
Registered
890 Posts
The best method I have found for using a gravel vac in your situation is just to simply graze the top of the gravel, picking up what is only on the surface and not actually penetrating the gravel.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I'm in the planning stages for my 20 gallon planted tank. I want to use Eco as my substrate. I figure I'll need about 1 1/2 - 2 bags to get a nice depth.
I plan to dust the bottom of the tank with Shultz Sphagnum Peat Moss and lay some Jobes plant spikes over it. One thing that concerns me is how do I go about using a gravel vac with out sucking up the Peat or spikes.

Any advice is greatly welcomed.

Dan
Please don't put Jobes spikes in your substrate....A light dusting of peat is fine, but leave out the jobes. Trust me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Newby

Have you had any personal experience with the Jobes plants sticks? If so you explain what happened?

Just clicked on your link. Great Photos.

Dan

PS ..... I just saw your reply on another substrate topic ..... I'm in Nyc Qns ..... Yu think I should skip the Peat? Where in NY are you located?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
yep dont putt the peat you dont need it fresh said nyc water is soft already

im in elmhurst where are you?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts