The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently picked up 2 used Marineland penguin 300 filters to set up another tank. I currently have 3 Aquaclears on 2 of my aquariums and love them. I do have a penguin on the 10 gallon. It does a good job, but I hate the media pack idea. Before use, I always cut open and trash the carbon and I rinse every few weeks, but still don't want to deal with them. Here is my question. The filter has 2 double chambers. If I want to use sponge that I would cut to fit and a polishing cloth or floss instead, what order would I put these in the box to make this work. I have watched a few videos but would like any advice if anybody does this. Thanks

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I remove all cartridge/basket sorts of things from the HOB filters and pack them like an Aquaclear:
1) Room at the bottom for water to flow to get under all the media.
2) Aquaclear sponge. If it does not fit, get the next size up and cut to fit. Make it just barely snug, so it will stay up to allow the flow under it.
3) Finer floss (I like the blue and white bonded material, buy in sheets, cut to fit)
4) Chemical media, if needed. (Peat in a nylon stocking, coral sand, or purigen... what ever the tank needs)
5) Bio. I usually use something heavy enough to keep all the other media down- ceramic bio noodles in a mesh bag.

Make sure whatever you use cannot fall into the section with the impeller.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
You can treat each compartment the same as if it was just one compartment, with matching media.
If you want to run different sorts of media in each, try it, but make sure the flow is similar.
For example: If you put just bio noodles in one side, and sponge and floss in the other, then the sponge and floss would plug up faster, and probably run slower all the time.

Better to make the 2 sides the same.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
You can get refillable filter racks for these too . I use them in other Penguins and I can put in floss,Matrix,carbon,whatever I want/need . Check Big Al's .The flow of water in these is from back to front , so you need to try and keep the media arranged as it is in the pre pack cartridges....IE: covering vertically...hope that makes sense .You can get cut to fit pads and cut them to fit the slots where the cartridges go too . There are a few options instead of the throw aways that cost so much...lol .

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, especially for the flow and layering info. I also took the clunky thing to my local fish store and talked it all over with my buddies, who felt I was headed in the right direction and offered to sell me some of their large sheets of filtering material cheap. Layering and experimenting, it is. I hate those little blue filter packs.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Thanks everyone, especially for the flow and layering info. I also took the clunky thing to my local fish store and talked it all over with my buddies, who felt I was headed in the right direction and offered to sell me some of their large sheets of filtering material cheap. Layering and experimenting, it is. I hate those little blue filter packs.
I think that is a common sentiment. I have 3 emperors that will be going on craigslist soon. They are a great filter but not really oriented for the serious hobbyist.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.