The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Know this is kinda out there but just wondering if anyone knew of any light fixtures/setups out there that would be able to be submersed partially underwater and powerful enough to sustain a successful planted tank...any help/links would be appreciated...

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
welcome to PTF :proud:
you could take any T5 bulb, put the endcaps and bulb in a clear rigid tube, seal it up with silicon, jacket the wires in waterproof flexible tubing, and make your own submersible plant lighting. most of the submersible fixtures on the market are LED based, so you would need a hell of a lot of expensive modules for them to grow plants. maybe if you describe more what you had in mind, like tank dimensiona, plants involved, overhead clearance, we could help better.

DIY T5
7500k 100w

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Spypet...

This is what i'm working with...

I'm making this vivarium extension off of an old 30 Gal I had...the top half will be filled with various tropical plants...it was originally intened to house 2 aquatic turtles i just rescued but as construction went on i decided that there wasn't going to be enough room for them to be comfortable (not like their rubbermaid container right now is the Ritz)...i've always liked the look of a planted tank and decided that a planted tank would look outstanding along with the tropical plants...

Here is my problem...i was told in another forum that i wouldnt have enough light from my lights above the plants to grow a successful planted aquarium and i can see this because my landmass's that jut out would block a lot of the light...i thought maybe if i could find two lights that were able to be semi submersed that i could attach them underneath the landmass's which would give the plants more then enough light...

I've also thought about mabye lowering the water level a bit and just attaching regular lights underneath the landmass and then somehow conceal them from view...

:help:

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
probably the best idea would be a
metal halide pendant fixture up top
shining straight down into that clear
gap you made in the rocks & wood.
that would simulate a beam of sunlight
getting through the trees down into
your wet & dry habitat, and throw a
nice shimmering reflection. If you got
TWO pendants, each one diagonally
pointing down from each end of the
tank, you could light up everything
through that gap between worlds.
don't worry if the bottom planted
area gets uneven light as you can
distribute high and low light plants
to where they'll do the most good.

whatever dimly lit spots you want
to highlight underwater, you can
us this guys spot light kits, not for
growing plants, but to light up and
throw shadows from various angles.

LEDs would be a cheap way to keep
light on 24/7 so you can also observe
the nocturnal activity of your animals.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OOOOOO...Spypet you are my new friend...I like this idea of the sunlight breaking through the canopy to reach the water...and extra led's would throw a good shimmering effect against some possible roots in the water...I was just looking at this system...

Coralife E-Z Double Ballast for 2 Square Pin (18-65W) Compact Fluorescent Lamps - Marine Depot - Marine and Reef Aquarium Super Store

32 Watt 10000K White PowerCompact Bulb - Square Pin - Marine Depot - Marine and Reef Aquarium Super Store

...but i'm definately gonna do some research on the new toys you gave me...Mucho Mucho Thanks guys

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
just be aware I'm only brainstorming here, and have not tried any of this stuff.
you might want to read more lighting posts under the vivarium-terrarium section;
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/vivarium-terrarium/
for more first hand experience lighting both environments effectively.

the power compact fluorescent products you linked to are nice,
but I would not use them for my bulb in a waterproof tube idea,
because they generate far more heat than most T5 bulbs would.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow...i'm gonna have to wait until im a multi-millionaire to go with the halide's...found some on ebay for about 200 cheaper but dont know how old/trustworthy they are...thinking about incorperating the LED's though for some moonlight effects...think if i lowered the water level they would still get too hot?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts