The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two questions about submersed Cryptocoryne parva:

(1) How tall do they get?

(2) Do the leaves grow upright or do they grow prostrate, lying flat against the substrate?

---

I have done several Google searches but I see either emersed growth/information or recently planted C. parva so I cannot gauge its submersed habit accurately. There are professional entries in the various aquascape contests but even those can be suspect as to recency. I do recall Takashi Amano had an older scape utilizing a vast field of C. parva, but I can neither track it down nor recall its exact characteristics. Non sequitur: I always envy his ability to grow the Cryptocoryne spp. (wenditii & petchtii) as fore/midground plants. How does he even get them so low? Light? Photographed at a top-view angle as to minimize height perception?

Thank you for your assistance.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your help in searching Straight shooter; but, unless I am mistaken, aren't those Sagittaria subulata or Helanthium bolivianum?

---

For example, this aquascape's foreground contains C. parva. The owner doesn't claim it directly but, looking at the list of plants used, only C. parva fits the description. However, I am looking at the relative leaf sizes and they look way too big and tall...even larger than the emersed grown leaves. In a 40 gallon tank, achieving a lawn of C. parva of this density should either mean the aquarist has spent years cultivating it and/or the aquarist has spent a fortune (2008 prices) with the initial planting. Did this aquascaper purchase C. willisii or one of its variants instead?

Confused.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Depends on light. At 40 par mine layed flat in my old tank. Less light and the leaves go higher. I planted some in a bowl with no light and there about an inch tall.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Those are Sagittaria subulata in the video. You can even see the runners. He does include parva in the plant list, but I didn't spot it. Probably just has a very small number. Could very easily be lost among the sag.

I've had a similar question regarding Crypt height. Mine always seem to grow very tall with few leaves. This is in both a low light low tech setup (10g with 15w T8) and high tech (46g with 39w T5s). My wenditii Red and Green get up to 16" in the 10g. I plant them in back and they end up shading the foreground plants (which don't need the shade). Once established, I can prune them to the ground and they'll grow a foot in about 3 months. Similar in the high tech tank, but they grow even faster and bigger. I always wondered how you get the bushy "mother plant" look, lower to the ground and a dozen or more leaves.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
As Beefyfish mentioned, it's mainly dependent on the intensity of light it receives as to how tall it will grow (stronger light = shorter, compact growth...weaker light = plants stretching taller to reach more light). How short is limited by plant species of course.

And for what it's worth, I believe I have seen people selling Cryptocoryne parva 'mini', which guessing by it's name, would remain shorter and tinier leaves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.