The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that you need styrofoam to help eliminate stress points on the plastic rims and help level the tank. Some even recommended to use 1/2" thick styrofoam for tank less than 50gallons and 3/4" thick for heavier tank.

Is this true? do you really need styrofoam ? anyone in here use styrofoam under their tank?

I have a 150g and would like to know before i fill up the tank. I Don't want to come home with a house full of water. if you do have experience with styrofoam, please let me know how thick i suppose to get. I heard you can find it at Lowes and Home Depot .

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I've put it under a stand before when I had a lumpy floor, but I don't believe you need it--otherwise tank manufacturers would make their warranties contingent on it. Just be sure the stand is level (and your tank didn't come from craigslist--just kidding! :) )

·
Registered
118 Posts
I used it on my ADA tank because it has a flat bottom. I think 3/4" is way overkill though. I used the 1/4" pink insulating styrofoam available at your LOCAL hardware store.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've put it under a stand before when I had a lumpy floor, but I don't believe you need it--otherwise tank manufacturers would make their warranties contingent on it. Just be sure the stand is level (and your tank didn't come from craigslist--just kidding! :) )
haha Mori, yes it's from craigslist.:icon_smil

·
Registered
141 Posts
My floor runs off where my 55 sits, so what I did was cut wedges out of wood, and nailed them to the bottom of the stand to get the stand as level as possible before I sat the tank on it.

Ive also heard u can use strips of cardboard to shim under the low spots to get the stand level.

The stand top itsself should be perfectly flat and not cause any stress points on the bottom rim.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I have always put the 3/4 inch pink constuction styrofoam under my larger tanks. I sleep better that way. :sleep: Might make the difference if we ever have a slight earthquake. And we did about 5 years back. Enough to get all the light fixtures in the house swaying. At the time, I thought a tree had hit my house.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have always put the 3/4 inch pink constuction styrofoam under my larger tanks. I sleep better that way. :sleep: Might make the difference if we ever have a slight earthquake. And we did about 5 years back. Enough to get all the light fixtures in the house swaying. At the time, I thought a tree had hit my house.
Thats good to know. yeah i might as well go grab one at Lowes just so i can sleep better at night.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Well, i just looked around the backside, and it looks like its thicker, like at least one inch thick heavy duty pink construction styro. Prolly all they had at the Home Depot at the time.
Of course I put some 1x4 hemlock molding around the base to hide the styro and some of the substrate. Looks much better that way.

·
Registered
67 Posts
OK here is my newbie question... :redface:

Are you putting the styrofoam on the floor and then the stand on that, or the styrofoam between the tank and stand?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK here is my newbie question... :redface:

Are you putting the styrofoam on the floor and then the stand on that, or the styrofoam between the tank and stand?
i'm pretty sure its between the tank and stand. actually i went to Lowes yesterday and bought the pink styrofoam 1/2" and will place it between the tank and stand.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah I was thinking that too, then it's like just the rim of the tank rests on the rim of the stand so naturally I overthink it.

We did manage to fit a 75 tank and stand in the back of my roomates car. Nissan something or other. Guy from the store was amazed it fit lol

Were were overly full tho, so no stopping at hardware store for the padding.

More stuff coming so will take pictures etc when I do set it up.

Thank you for the quick reply!

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I don't use the styrafoam, but when the tank is filled up, you can see that the floor is slightly off as one side has a higher water level than the other. Not by much, but it's noticeable. As far as stress, I doubt it really makes much of a difference, except for the very large heavy tanks. I've had this tank set up for over a year without any problems.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
ringram, here's a funny one. I bought this resealed breeder tank off craigslist, so when I set it up I use a carpenter's level along each rim to make sure it's nice and flat before filling it up. I fill it up, and the water level is a half centimeter higher on one corner! I'm freaking out, like maybe my old apartment floor is sagging, or the stand got bent from the water weight! anyway, it turns out when the guy resealed it he didn't bang the frame back into place completely, so it was not the tank that was off level, it was just the top frame!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Always use something between stand and tank... no matter what the size.
For my 150g tank I use an old strip of carpeting. On all my other tanks (10's through 150g) I use triple-walled cardboard or cardboard from shipping boxes.
Just try budging a 10g tank that has sat on a plywood stand for over 10 years... a little water spilled here and there under the tank seals it really nice to the stand. A piece of cardboard solves the problem and prevents cracks or broken seams when it comes time to move it. A little prevention beforehand saves !BIG! headaches down the road.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you use styrofoam on glass tank with the bottom brace in the center. will it lift the bottom glass up and cause crack?
I already cut a whole piece of styrofoam to fit the tank and stand. but after i placed tank on top, i realized the brace on the center bottom glass. when you place the styrofoam the side of the tank will compress down, and the styrofoam will life the center brace up. Will this cause the bottom glass to be unstable?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I don't use the styrafoam, but when the tank is filled up, you can see that the floor is slightly off as one side has a higher water level than the other. Not by much, but it's noticeable. As far as stress, I doubt it really makes much of a difference, except for the very large heavy tanks. I've had this tank set up for over a year without any problems.
Actually if the tank is not level then using foam will make it WORSE. Think about it, if its leaning down on one end then more weight will be on that end. If there is slightly more weight on one end and you put something compressable under it then it will also compress more on that end and further the lean.

Foam is required under bare glass bottom tanks. It is not to level the tank but to avoid stress points from slight imperfection in the stand that would otherwise be right up against solid flat glass. Tanks with rims you dont need foam, minor imperfection wont do anything and major imperfection should be remedied. IMO I'd use it on framed tanks still though for insulation if your heating a tank in a cooler room.

Tank manufacturers do require it with glass bottom tanks. http://glasscages.com/?sAction=AqWarranty under setup instructions you'll see that they require the use of 3/4" foam. However with framed tanks I have not seen this requirement (yet).

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you use styrofoam on glass tank with the bottom brace in the center. will it lift the bottom glass up and cause crack?
sometimes. if you want to pad your tank, only pad around the edges. unless the full bottom glass is on the stand. if you have a tank that only sits on the plastic trim, keeping the glass off the stand, then don't put anything against the glass. ever wonder why commercial stands have open top? it's not just to save money.

if your tank is not level, you must fix it properly! i'd level the stand and tank.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts