The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve always struggled with stem plants & trimming them to have them grow “bushy”

I always end up with them growing tall and very empty looking.

I know you’re supposed to trim frequently to get this look, but where do I trim, I’ve always believed if you trim the “mother stem” then where you cut you will get two stems from that, and then again when you cut them stems but I believe I also am wrong, I’ve been looking all day to find a very basic confirmation of trimming procedure to clarify this for me but no luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Not a stupid question, usually what you want to do is do a mid section trim and replant and more stems will pop up from where you cut and it starts creating this adjacent looking "branch" and you continue to do that.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a stupid question, usually what you want to do is do a mid section trim and replant and more stems will pop up from where you cut and it starts creating this adjacent looking "branch" and you continue to do that.

Okay that’s simple, thank you, so basically wait until the stem is roughly twice as long as it needs to be, replant the trimming, then just keep that going until it’s got that bushy look? What’s the shortest you’d trim down to?

I planted some Ludwigia Palistris Super Red Mini yesterday, spaced them about 1 inch apart as I’ve made mistakes before by creating a jungle of aerial roots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
With my ludwigia repens I just keep cutting and it kept branching, there's always going to have "lesser stems" at the bottom but that's normal. Be patient and you'll have a bush in no time (or grow pearlweed).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts