The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...

I can't believe I'm even having to ask this question but I am concerned...

I bought some flex LED strips for my 10G planted tank that I cycled and have recently added 12 baby PFR Cherry Shrimp about a week ago. While I was waiting for the LED housing to arrive to install the LED strips into, I temporarily stapled them with light duty staples and staple gun to the shelf above the tank......

I'm sure you probably now know where I'm going with this...I went to remove the staples out of the shelf tonight and one of the staples broke off and the smaller portion of the staple, like the arm part that penetrates the wood, broke off and I "think possibly" fell in my 10G planted shrimp tank! I looked everywhere with a light, but where it would have fallen would have been in or around a big bunch of stem plants and rock in the corner of the tank and I can't find it.

Is this going to cause harm to my shrimp and plants? Do I need to drain my tank and search for this?? Please help!! I'm so worried it will rust and hurt or kill my shrimp!

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
12,039 Posts
Without knowing what the staple is made from, it's hard to say.

If it is stainless steel, then it won't really be a problem.

If it is just steel, it will rust. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

People used to put staples and paperclips into their aquariums to get more iron, so...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Some staples contain Zinc or have a Zinc coating, so that would be the only worry for me. If you still have the staple box you can see what kinda staples they are and see what metal they are too. I would try to see if the staples you have are magnetic before trying to search for a broken staple piece that isnt magnetic and getting frustrated.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure what kind of metal these staples are. It doesn't state anywhere on the box. They are the Stanley Light duty staples.

Yeah, something was magnetic! I'm so glad I found it because it was a bigger piece than I had thought.

Thanks again everyone!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.