The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems as if though I just can't grow swordplants to full size in my 46 gallon tank. The tank has inert gravel, but with a good amount of mulm and fish waste as it's been set up for almost a decade. The crypt wendtii I have in the tank also seem to be smaller than the huge ones I see in other people's tanks, but I do have one very large crypt and some very tall vals in the tank.

I have red rubin, amazon, and tropica swords in the tank, and they're all stunted. For instance the tropica sword is only around 2 inches in diameter. I've had them all for around 2 years. At this point is it worth trying some root tabs to get them to grow to full size, or are they permanently stunted and should I just get new plants and give those root tabs? Could there be another cause for the stunted growth besides insufficient nutrients in the substrate?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Root tabs. You could push some iron next to the roots also. Next time you tear down that tank dirt the baby.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
my swords grow huge in my 55 had to even sell one cause it took up half the tank. with that said i use miracle grow organic potting soil (brown bag) and a pool filter cap. i bet like the others said they need food for the roots. i dont use root tabs i use JOBES plant food spike. i cut a slice off the end of the stick and push it under the plant. it worked for all kinds of plant including my hc since i didnt use co2

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.