The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I am EI dosing and my rotalas have suddenly started to stunt on me. I have Japan red, ramisor sunset, ramisor Florida, mini butterfly, and macrandra. Wallichi, veitnam, Bangladesh, Mexicana goias etc are doing fine.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
From the way you wrote that, I got the impression that these plants are stunting.
" I have Japan red, ramisor sunset, ramisor Florida, mini butterfly, and macrandra."
Because you said..."Wallichi, veitnam, Bangladesh, Mexicana goias etc are doing fine."
Without much better pictures it's rather difficult to make a comparison between these
plants and what we picture as a "normal" plant of the same kind.
However I did notice how tall they are and it appears as if they are clippings that
you recently planted. So how long have they been growing correctly before they
began to "stunt"?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I would try one of two things first depending on your setup. If you are injecting CO2 you can increase that. If not, try reducing the light. Rotala macrandra seems to be the first to show CO2 issues.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am already dosing CO2 a lot. There are no fish. Light is quite high too, anymore and I will get algae.
They were growing fine. I clipped only rotala macrandra japan red and it stunted. They were growing fine for 15 days. I just recently got them.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
Rotalas can be a real challange. Many of them like macranda, Japan red, magenta, butterfly are un-stable virieties that will morph one into another at a slightest change in environment. At 15 days you are only starting to get growth in your own tank. You can search TPT for one of my threads with pictures of multiple virieties growing off a single stem.

I would pull out 2 - 3 of the newly planted stems and let them float for 2 - 3 weeks. Only when they start branching out with new growth you can tell what you really got and rule out nutrient deficiencies. If the new growth is looking good, then you have narrowed the issue to light and co2. In my experience, in semi- hard water, macranda needs a lot more light then any other plant I know. I would only grow it in very over planted tanks to minimize algae blooms at those light levels (200 PAR++).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.