The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My plants seem to have stopped growing and I'm not sure why. More specifically, my super red ludwigia, and lemon bolca have been melting. My s. repens isn't melting but isn't growing either. My anubias seem fine and are growing well. I have a high tech tank (36 gallons) with two finnex lights and CO2. I had been using Thrive but stopped last week because it didn't seem to be helping and it caused my nitrates to skyrocket.

Any ideas? I've been trying to get this tank going for almost 2 years now and it just doesn't want to take off.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you have high light, you will have high nutrient needs. If the Thrive is too rich in nitrates, maybe try a different fertilizer? You can get N from other products, and add only the amount you need, and then use another product(s) for you P-K-micros.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
My plants seem to have stopped growing and I'm not sure why. More specifically, my super red ludwigia, and lemon bolca have been melting. My s. repens isn't melting but isn't growing either. My anubias seem fine and are growing well. I have a high tech tank (36 gallons) with two finnex lights and CO2. I had been using Thrive but stopped last week because it didn't seem to be helping and it caused my nitrates to skyrocket.

Any ideas? I've been trying to get this tank going for almost 2 years now and it just doesn't want to take off.
We will need some more info. Please supply as much as you can and supplying all of it will help us avoid missing something. You may have to do a little research, here on TPT or elsewhere, to collect some of the data but, without it, the chances of honing in on your problem will be lower. You may have already provided some of this info.

- How long has the tank been setup?
- Light (make & model): ideally, PAR and PUR reading at the substrate and photoperiod?
- CO2 setup (if any) and, if you inject CO2 (pressurized or DIY?), what is the CO2 ppm level, how is it measured and how is it timed with your photoperiod?
- Current NO3, PO4, GH, KH, pH and TDS readings and which test kits/devices are used for each?
- What you are dosing (product and quantity), in terms of ppm, and how often?
- Substrate type and how long has it been in place?
- What is your filter setup?
- Cleaning regimen (filter and water change frequency and amount)?
- Circulation: surface rippling and are all plants gently moving from top to bottom?
- What is your water source and do you use a water softener?
- What is your tank size?

Reactions: natebuchholz

·
Registered
36 Posts
Astrodon, try mixing 50% Seachem Flourish with 50% Seachem Advance.
I mix a batch (half and half) and dose daily (1-2 mL a day in a 20 litre tank full of plants). It works for me. My plants are in ADA Amazonia soil Ver2, but not sure how critical that is.

I bought seachem expecting to experiment with other fertilisers (I bought another two brands - never used them) but have never seen the point in testing the others - if it works don't change it.
This seachem mix works like magic juice for me.

Can only suggest you give that a try. The 'advance' seems to be some kind of organic compounds that mimics natural waters. It works great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.