The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a brandnew AQUATOP CF-300 Canister Filter, when I open the box, it look vet and the water feel like oil.

I thought this is no problem since it just run fine. the media is only bio-ball and Ceramic biological media.

After 2-3 days of running, I see some stuff came out from the filter. Anyone knows if they will have any negative problem on my tank and my fish/plant? Please look at the following picture

Thanks

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
You should always rinse new equipment before using it in your aquarium, I recently bought a Eheim 2217 and I rinsed it, put it together and was filling it with water so it would prime easily and I couldn't get any water passed the top quick connect valve it was filled with some sort of silicone lubricant they use in the building of the valve, so I got lucky or this stuff would have blew all over my tank.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I just lost a bunch of expensive shrimp due to not washing everything out on my new filter. I rinsed all the filter materials, but not the hoses. And 12 hours later I was suffering a huge die off. Ammonia tests showed none and I had put the old filter media into the new filter to prevent a recycle. So my only guess is there was something shrimp didn't like (Especially Greens and Rili) left inside the hoses or in the pump assembly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.