The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tank with a built in fixture that can't be removed, currently it's running with 2X 20W lights, one is actinic so it's useless.

I would like to have at least 2WPG, the size of the tank is:
31" x 12" x 16"

If I'm not wrong, that comes around 26gallons, which means I need at least 52 watts but also I'm not sure if that would be enough to grow dward hairgrass/HC as carpet plant and the following (bought it yesterday but I don't know what it's called):

I'm thinking of these light bulbs (URI 24 Inch VHO AquaSun Bulb - 75 Watts):
Click Here

Of course shipping is at least 100 bucks to where I live and that is why I need help with picking the lights required. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So 43 views and no one? I already have the tank set up with just the lights missing so I hope someone would kindly reply.

As I mentioned earlier, shipping is at least $100 and it would cost me $100 again to return it if it's the wrong choice (that's if they refund/exchange).

I've been reading the forum and there's way too many different opinions on different things and many don't mind experimenting which is something I can't do.

Here is a 2x55W kit that I'm currently considering, any input would be highly appreciated:
http://www.ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Anything other that T8 bulbs will require a retrofit (new ballast etc.). Make sure the VHO includes the ballast, AHSupply does as part of the kit.

I believe 2 X 55 Watt is closer to 4WPG ...

So 43 views and no one? I already have the tank set up with just the lights missing so I hope someone would kindly reply.

As I mentioned earlier, shipping is at least $100 and it would cost me $100 again to return it if it's the wrong choice (that's if they refund/exchange).

I've been reading the forum and there's way too many different opinions on different things and many don't mind experimenting which is something I can't do.

Here is a 2x55W kit that I'm currently considering, any input would be highly appreciated:
http://www.ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info BlueRam.

I am planning on keeping mainly dwarf hairgrass but from my understanding this plant requires strong lighting. Is 4WPG strong enough?

That is why I considered the 2x55W kit instead of the 2x36W kit. :icon_roll

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.