The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to turn my cycled, 20g long tank into a shrimp tank. Originally I was thinking of black sand but the shrimp I want are Blue Dream shrimp and I don't think the colour will pop as much with the dark on dark. Can I use STS with shrimp and snails? I've heard that it can lower ph and bind minerals, both of which are bad for shelled creatures. Other people seem to think it is fine.

The plan for the tank is to go black & white. I'm thinking either albino or panda corys, black neon or silvertip or emperor tetras, and for colour the blue dream shrimp and a guppy or two.

What would you suggest for substrate?

Thank you.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've been keeping Blue Dreams in my 40 gallon breeder. It had some black cichlid substrate in there. I never saw them. One day I pulled it all out and replaced it with traction sand. I can see my shrimp now!

What's STS? I keep on seeing those initials.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been keeping Blue Dreams in my 40 gallon breeder. It had some black cichlid substrate in there. I never saw them. One day I pulled it all out and replaced it with traction sand. I can see my shrimp now!

What's STS? I keep on seeing those initials.
STS is Safe T Sorb. It's a fired clay used for absorbing oil, drying up cans of paint, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts