The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, so I am pretty new to planted tanks, but I have been struggling with the type of soil/dirt that I would need for my tank. I have some left over black sand from my other tank, so I would like to use the rest of it. I have heard so many different types, that it is very overwhelming. I just wanted some opinions on which substrates you had success with for your tanks whether it was Eco-Complete, Miracle Growth, ext. I am planning on doing a carpet plant or two such as DHG or DBT, with some other plants such as micro sword, ext. Still debating on plants, but those are just the types that I am looking at. I have a Odyssea Quad T5 light fixture and a DIY C02 with it. I am also going to be dosing the water with Excel. Just let me know which substrate you feel would be best and easiest for me. Thank you all!

Also, just in case anyone has any experience with hills or separating substrate, I was also wondering what material you all have used to separate substrate. Thank you

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Can't help with dirt tanks as I have not tried one yet but I have a combo of eco complete and blasting sand in my two 40 gallon tanks and can grow just about anything.The substrate for many plants is just an anchor as most stem plants get their nourishment from the water column so ferts will be needed.Swords,crypts and vals are heavy root feeders and need root tabs or the like.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
The blasting sand is a little finer than the eco so I just mixed it together.The sand eventually works it's way to the bottom any how.I did this as a money saver because the sand is 1/3 the price of eco but all of either one is also fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The blasting sand is a little finer than the eco so I just mixed it together.The sand eventually works it's way to the bottom any how.I did this as a money saver because the sand is 1/3 the price of eco but all of either one is also fine.
okay well then I will probably just mix them together then. SO you haven't had any problems with the eco complete?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I've also used eco complete but have it capped/mixed with petco gravel per girlfriend who wanted to be apart of the tank and want some color in the floor lol.. besides that I have had success with plants growing..as I am still learning a lot I felt that eco complete was the better choice just because when I vacuum the gravel I probably would suck up dirt and make a big mess!! HAH but I have heard great things about dirt tanks and how well plants grow in them..in the end it seems like personal choice..even though both types can grow plants no matter what..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've also used eco complete but have it capped/mixed with petco gravel per girlfriend who wanted to be apart of the tank and want some color in the floor lol.. besides that I have had success with plants growing..as I am still learning a lot I felt that eco complete was the better choice just because when I vacuum the gravel I probably would suck up dirt and make a big mess!! HAH but I have heard great things about dirt tanks and how well plants grow in them..in the end it seems like personal choice..even though both types can grow plants no matter what..
Okay thank you, I think I am going to get the eco-complete. What do you think about maybe doing some sort of soil/dirt like Miracle Growth or something similar and then topping it with eco-complete? You think this would be a better solution or just stick with eco-complete and then sand as well?

·
Registered
618 Posts
its really up to you with how much base you want to put down there..but if you really wanted to sure why not throw some dirt on the bottom and cap it with the mixture of eco and sand blast that you got.. all in all it doesn't hurt its just nutrients for the plants..either way your gonna have to put ferts into the tank to help the plants...but check there for different suggestions on dirt.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/29-substrate/155962-best-soil-dirt-tank.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its really up to you with how much base you want to put down there..but if you really wanted to sure why not throw some dirt on the bottom and cap it with the mixture of eco and sand blast that you got.. all in all it doesn't hurt its just nutrients for the plants..either way your gonna have to put ferts into the tank to help the plants...but check there for different suggestions on dirt.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/29-substrate/155962-best-soil-dirt-tank.html
Thank you! I will definitely check it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.