The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone has found/used quick disconnects that will fit an Eheim 2215 that are stronger than the ones that come with it. They are 12mm ID, about 1/2 inch.

I would love some metal ones. They don't even have to be for aquarium use, I wonder if there are something similar for medical use or something that would work great and engineered to last forever.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Well any ball valve for use with gas as in natural gas would work as a shut off valve and be very heavy with no way to connect it with a plastic tubing without soldering in a lenth of copper, then a threaded brass fitting to a threaded pvc adapter, and it's still just a shut off without any disconnect feature.

Why do you need something heavier???

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well any ball valve for use with gas as in natural gas would work as a shut off valve and be very heavy with no way to connect it with a plastic tubing without soldering in a lenth of copper, then a threaded brass fitting to a threaded pvc adapter, and it's still just a shut off without any disconnect feature.

Why do you need something heavier???
Well, I broke the handle off the valve of one with too much force. Since I want to replace it, I was just wondering if there was something out that people have used. I also just know plastic has a tendency to get brittle over time. There isn't a need to, I just wouldn't mind knowing about a better option if it exists.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Some of mine have been in use for 8 years, they are fairly bullet proof but most do not open fully or are just a little off. But as long as you don't try to crank on them they will last for ever, look at Kens and Big Als for good pricing.

I don't know of anything better, some people like the big ole' PVC valves but they lack any disconnect as well, so we are stuck with Eheim.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some of mine have been in use for 8 years, they are fairly bullet proof but most do not open fully or are just a little off. But as long as you don't try to crank on them they will last for ever, look at Kens and Big Als for good pricing.

I don't know of anything better, some people like the big ole' PVC valves but they lack any disconnect as well, so we are stuck with Eheim.
Oh, I totally understand. Even the one where I broke the handle still functions fine after 4+ years. I don't need a valve on that side as it it close enough to the outlet so that I can just hold it up when I remove it. Actually the valve still functions if I were to use a screwdriver but I don't have the room or enough light to make that happen.

When people where talking about some quick disconnects for a Zoo Med 501 a while back, a few people thought some medical grade stuff for IV's and the like would work and those would be far more durable as they are connected/disconnected all the time, rather than a few times a year.

It is sort of a shot in the dark so I was just hoping someone found an alternative.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts