The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spawning, when my male German finally eats the eggs he won't eat while the eggs are present, and eventually has stringy white poop. This goes to normal poop on it's own. I have treated him for internal parasites twice now, but am wondering if this is due to him not eating and eating eggs that are white during spawning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like some kind of internal parasite possibly Hexamita if it is you will need to use Metrodanizole to treat it. Good Luck.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have treated them with parasite food combined with prazipro.

There poop goes back to normal until the next spawn than turns white again. That's why I was wondering if it's possible the shells I'm seeing for the first couple of days after they eat them. This time I didn't treat them and there poop is already back to normal.

Should I still treat again anyway?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have treated them with parasite food combined with prazipro.

There poop goes back to normal until the next spawn than turns white again. That's why I was wondering if it's possible the shells I'm seeing for the first couple of days after they eat them. This time I didn't treat them and there poop is already back to normal.

Should I still treat again anyway?
I am speaking from Tropheus and Bloat experience. I would treat the tank with metro Q8H D/T it only stays active in the column for several hours if Sx's are present. If the Ram is still eating than metro soaked food...I usually use the Seachem brand. If there are several fish in the tank with Sx's that are not eating that's when we will talk about Clout. I have had a lot of success with Clout; however, I only use it in extreme and emergent circumstances. I use Epsom Salt baths also; however, this will most likely be detrimental to such a fragile soft water fish. Does the poo have a thread like appearance? The white stringy feces is usually the shedding of the fishes intestinal mucus layer. If the fish is not listless, hiding, especially not eating, or presenting with other Sx's/changes in behavior...I would not treat with medication. Asymptomatic 0 medication. Just my very humble opinion

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fish are very active, eating, never hiding. It's only the GBR's and it only happens after they eat there eggs for the next few days. Then it's back to normal already.

The only reason I ask is I would hate continuously treating them for parasites if it wasn't it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would not treat now because you say he is back to normal, but it is a good idea to have metro on hand. If you do have to treat it is Q8H x 5-7 days, with a 50% wc Qday. I would think medicating without other symptoms present would have some marginal long term effects on internal organs of the fish...so only treat when you necessary. What I here you saying is that it is a temporary condition that is somewhat recurrent; however, it resolves on it's own.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@ wharfrat

I decided to not treat and keep things normal this time. Withing 4 days after eating there white eggs poops has returned to thick normal coloring. My question is what is causing this? Is there something else that is the problem or is this normal?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts