The Planted Tank Forum banner

Stringy white mold/fungus/algae growing on plants, walls, and tubing?

5114 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  paosquared
Hey guys!

First off tank specs: it's a 2.78 gallon with Marfied controsoil substrate. DIY CO2 (with bubble counter/gas separator second bottle) plus Excel and EI dosing. Plants are monte carlo, some anubias nana petite, and staurogyne repens. Fauna are about 12 cherry shrimp. Filter is a cheap little chinese brand HOB. Tank has been set up for about 2 months, but about 2 weeks ago I rescaped it and added more substrate, so I had to replant everything. This possibly reset the cycle. The past week I've noticed a white, slimy, stringy growth (mold? fungus?) growing on plants, the filter tube, the inside of the filter, the rocks, and the walls. They flow with the current and rub off easily, but come back very fast.

There is no driftwood in my tank. I'm currently not feeding ANYTHING and haven't fed anything since the rescape. So it's not driftwood or overfeeding.

My DIY CO2 has a bubble counter/gas separator so I doubt it's yeast leaking out.

I'm unable to check parameters since I live in the Philippines and the test kits have been unavailable at local fish stores for more than a month now. Only thing they've got is pH test kits. Still trying to look for locally available kits but so far the only thing i've seen is the master test kit for saltwater aquariums.

I've tried manually removing this stuff by cleaning the glass and rubbing the plants, which gets it off. But a few hours later, it grows right back in the same spots and is starting to spread.

I've tried to hit it with peroxide, but it doesn't bubble or react to it in any way. Same for Excel.

No ill effects in the shrimps that I've noticed.

Is this a problem? What is it? How do I get rid of it? Do I let it just run its course?

A few caveats - I do not want to put snails in this tank. Also, it's too small to accomodate anything but shrimp.

I've attached two pictures.

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
I often see this when I add wood and I have never found it to be a real problem other than looking a bit weird. I don't have a real name for it as there are far more than I could ever expect to know but just call it fungus?
I compare it to the fairy rings or mushrooms that may suddenly spring up in the yard. Some certain condition is met for them to burst out and do their thing but when those special conditions change, they are gone. Some fish eat it but I have never seen it last very long. So I now do nothing and it goes away at about the same speed as if I did something.
Maybe some nutrient in the new work has changed something that we may not even be able to measure so I recommend telling folks you did it on purpose!!! And then when it goes away, you can say you got tired of it?

>:)
Reactions: 1
I often see this when I add wood and I have never found it to be a real problem other than looking a bit weird. I don't have a real name for it as there are far more than I could ever expect to know but just call it fungus?
I compare it to the fairy rings or mushrooms that may suddenly spring up in the yard. Some certain condition is met for them to burst out and do their thing but when those special conditions change, they are gone. Some fish eat it but I have never seen it last very long. So I now do nothing and it goes away at about the same speed as if I did something.
Maybe some nutrient in the new work has changed something that we may not even be able to measure so I recommend telling folks you did it on purpose!!! And then when it goes away, you can say you got tired of it?

>:)
hmmm but i didn't add any wood. odd. do you think it's the same thing?
an update: the situation resolved on its own. the stuff just disappeared by itself ... and around the same time, the copepods came back lol
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.