The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got this Blue Cray fish in my tank. Moderately planted with 4 angels, 3 silver dollar tetra, a beta, an SAE, orange pleco, and a butis butis.

3 days ago, I noticed that my cray fish was getting really slow. i could reach in andtouch him and he didnt try to get away.
Yesterday I found him upside down in the front of the tank. I flipped him over and he eventialy moved away. Found him upside down this morning and again tonight when I got home.
I flipped him this morning in the opposite side that I found him tonight.
Now, I seems like he cant use his legs. His claws seem to work but one is bent in an odd angle.
I also noticed that sometimes he seems to twitch.

What do you think? Molting or dead?

It is possible that this Butis Butis could be beating on him. He has eaten a couple of fish in my tank. I plan on taking him back to the fish store and exchanging him for the monkey loach that he ate and the SAE that i suspect he ate.
If he has broken hislegs, can he molt into new ones?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Crustaceans get too vulnerable during molting stage. Their bodies are quite tender. I would assume your fish managed to touch it and injured it.:smile:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there are no signs of moting that i can see. His entire body seems like it is bright in color and there are no signs of seperating

·
Registered
888 Posts
It may be possible your Butis butis attacked it. And if that's the case, the crayfish failed to defend itself properly.

·
Registered
517 Posts
their legs grow back in no time. just warm up the temp a bit to induce molting i believe. worked on my blue crayfish for the first few months. now he seems to not care about the warmer water. also has hints of red to him making him look really pretty imo. oh and he just lost his claw arm for the 5th time or so, but i expect to see another one soon enough

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I would put him in a smaller tank by himself for a while. Then you should be make sure he's getting food and stuff. If the claws are really damaged you can pinch them off. But only do both at the same time, not one then the other so they regenerate at the same pace.

Hopefully he turns out fine

-Andrew

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
he's dead

i was a new one thats all white. he'll make nice replacement tomorrow when I take the butis butis back. He ate my last SAE today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.