The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been waiting for a long time to get new shrimp and I now have some on the way, literally in transit. Just 5 SSS CBS.
But I noticed a dead shrimp this morning and think that some may have a bacterial infection.
I've never dealt with this in my year of shrimp keeping.
I had a problem keeping CBS alive at the beginning but my water params seemed perfect and do now so I was hoping that maybe I just didn't have a mature enough tank, which, at a year later, I'm guessing I do.
What should I do about the possible infection?
I have paraguard on hand. But have never used it.
Thanks!

ETA: I don't have another tank to use for these shrimp... So they pretty much have to go in here...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Do a 20 percent water change with RO (or whatever water you use), vacuuming the substrate a little. In a week do another 20 percent water change vacuuming the substrate a little. I bet everything will pull through. I wouldn't resort to drugs first thing, especially when you're JUST ABOUT to introduce some high grade shrimps. Water changes are almost never a bad thing.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
First of all why do you suspect a bacterial infection? Shortened antennae or missing entirely? Cloudy bodies? If you really suspect a bacterial infection you should do water changes of 80%. Yes, everyone will gasp at the same time but I did 100% water changes on a berried OEBT for 3 weeks to pull her through. As long as you keep parameters and temp the same they should be ok. But first things first is why do you suspect an infection?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I disagree with jarvitron, vaccuming the susbstrate is only only to create more bad bacteria, which you don't want. I also disagree that water changes are never a bad thing. Too many, too fast can cause premature molting and death.

If it's 1 dead shrimp, I wouldn't freak but need to know why you think it's a bacteria infection. As common as it can be with neo's, I've never had a card suffer from it.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Every water change will typically cause some form of stress but in the case of bacterial infection IF that's the case 50-80% changes are generally recommended from research I've found and Speedie (sorry to drop your name Speedie but seems people don't mind listening to you:)). I agree with Sbarbee that with CRS/CBS bacterial infection isn't generally the first go-to cause of death.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I wouldn't freak out over one death and start doing too much too quickly possibly causing problems in response to something that wasn't there. Make sure something is wrong first.
+1 I did this and wiped out a colony of 20 OEBTs. Make sure there is a problem FIRST.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
And OEBT and bacteria infections are like bread and butter, not bread and vinegar like CRS and bacteria infection.

Yeah I realize that now...sadly. Problem was is I suspected a bacterial infection but wasn't sure and did TONS of crap to the tank which I think cause 75% of the colony wipeout. That's why I'm stressing the importance of being sure before one does anything.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry. I wasn't clear enough and I've been out all day.
I seem to see several shrimp that look cloudy. And they are Neos. Oranges.
Both males and females I believe. I have probably 20 in there at varying ages, and only see 3 or so that look like that.
In this thread people have stated that Tigers get the infections and CBS/CRS not so much. But what about Neos? And do I not need to worry so much if the new ones are CBS?
Thx!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
If you feel you must do something for them and just aren't sure what's going on I recommend Indian Almond Leaves (let them leech the tannins, the tannins are what contains the antibacterial/antifungal properties). Banana leaves are also good for this. Probably the strongest strength and keeping it natural is Catappa Bark but it's a devil to get into the states. I have to order it overseas, and sometimes customs stops it and sometimes they don't. Alder cones are another thing to pick up and something I keep in every tank. Tannins can sometimes lower the pH but I have not noticed a noticable difference with the IAL and alder cones I use...no tannins with the banana leaves that I've noted. If you are in a pinch I am more than happy to send you IAL, banana leaves and alder cones free of charge. Just cause I'm nice like that;) Just PM me your addy.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do have some IAL on hand and dropped one in last night. So I guess that was a good move... I've always thought the alder cones look very cool too, do they have any different properties?
And THANK YOU for your sweet offer! That is so nice :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.