The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Here is a tad of info that I have learned about them::)

These fish are truly original. The minimum tank size is a 20 Long. A pair will stay together for life, and if one dies they rarely will mate with another of their species. the male has a hump on it's forehead while the female doesn't. they guard and take care of their young very well. Spawn in caves. Great community cichlid. Don't swim but sort of hop. Neutral water and temperature is desired. Eat inverts. Grow to 3 or 4 inches(male is larger than the female)They are certainly an eye-catcher! Like a strong current, but one is not really required. Get even amounts of these fish so they can pair off. Arn't really agressive but can fend for themselves, especially during mating season.
Thats all I can remember for now.
They aren't too hard to keep for beginners.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the imput, I saw these at one of the better lfs and was told they were easy keepers but couldn't find much information on them.They truly are a unique fish.
Dawn

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think you are missing a letter in the name and that's why you can't find anything about it. Streatocranus tinanati

I may be wrong...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I keep its cousin, Steatocranus casuarius (Bufallohead/Blockhead). They're pretty peaceful. I have a breeding pair that have spawned 5 or 6 times now. I have 2 generation of fry in the same tank. The older fry do not eat the younger one. The mother does chase the older fry if they got too close to the young ones though. They also like a lot of water movement.
The only thing bad about them is they will dig when they're breeding. If you put a driftwood toward the back wall, it may not be that bad.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I just picked up six of them and I am hoping that I will get a pair they are still pretty small. They truly are a fascinating fish to watch. Though I just realized that I like Goby like fish, I brought them home and my husband asked if I was ever going to get fish that actually swim. I have plecos and darters and now these six in different tanks. I didn't tell him that I was waiting until I sneak the big tank in. Saving for a 125 gallon.
Thanks again for your input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.