The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Contemplating something new for my next tank and Stratum seems an interesting option. I've read that Stratum indeed will take your ph down a peg (which I wouldnt mind at all considering my 7.6 city water) but does that mean every time I do a water change the in-tank Ph will swing a bit (from me adding water which is higher than what is in the aquarium)? Does this effect on ph fade away over time and water changes?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Is the plant or shrimp stratum you're asking about? If its for plants, pH really doesn't matter at all. If its for shrimp, I've read mixed reviews on it. I am using it in some of my shrimp tanks but they are not pH dependent shrimp and its just as a cap on top of my Eco-Complete. From what I've read, is that it does seem to buffer out fairly fast, meaning it won't keep your pH low for as long as some of the other active soils. Using RO water, or a RO/tap water mix will lengthen the effect but that half defeats the purpose of using it as a pH lowering soil. Some users have reported on other forums that they don't seem to get any baby shrimp surviving in the stuff. I have probably 90 baby cherry shrimp now, so while that maybe true for some $300 black king shrimp, the cherries are fine, and honestly if I was keep $300 shrimp, I would go with something better than stratum. In my crystal tank, I use a soil called Netlea soil which is really good at keeping the pH,gH low and supposidly will last for a year or two, again length going on what type of water, etc. Any buffering soil though is going to run out fast if you are doing large water changes several times a week.

So, why do you need a low pH and what do you plan on keeping. That can help determine what is the best for you to use.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for chiming in. Its the Plant Stratum I was considering. I don't expressly need to lower my ph (I've been working with 7.6 tap water forever) but I was concerned that trying something like Statum would invite a whole new balancing act I might not be prepared for. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.