The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to start a high tech tank and trying to figure out what substrate to use. I was leaning towards the Fluval Stratum since it is readily available in my area. I plan on having either Dwarf Baby Tears or Monte Carlo for my carpet and after some research I have been reading about people having trouble keeping them rooted in Stratum. It seems the Stratum is a little to course and light for the small delicate roots. Has anyone else had this experience? Is there a better option of substrate with nutrients that is a little finer or heavier than the stratum.

Thanks,

·
Registered
38 Posts
I do know it was a major pain trying to get my tissue culture to stay in the Fluval Stratum when I got home today. Time will tell if they stay there. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I hate to hear that. Just when I thought I had everything planned out, now I may reconsider the Stratum.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I found the Monte Carlo hard to plant in Stratum without using some stainless steel wire to hold it down. I had better luck with Cryptocoryne Parva and S Repens but slightest bump and it comes loose again. Hoping it will be a bit better once it roots.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I have Stratum in a tank with Crypt Parva and Cory cats. Bad combo IMO. Just like @WZ9V said, they uproot very easily. I am actually cruising the substrate section looking for an alternative. I was thinking about Eco-Complete, but have not pulled the trigger yet.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I didn't have any problems with planting in stratum topped with black diamond blasting sand. The sand is now settling to the bottom when I remove any plants with their roots but plants held down fine from the initial planting till they rooted, even the monte carlo.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What did you end up going with? I took a break since my tanks had a meltdown but want to get them restarted.

I have Stratum in a tank with Crypt Parva and Cory cats. Bad combo IMO. Just like @WZ9V said, they uproot very easily. I am actually cruising the substrate section looking for an alternative. I was thinking about Eco-Complete, but have not pulled the trigger yet.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I went with BDBS and havent looked back. my parva died out, probably because of low light and no [email protected], but dwarf sage has spread like wild fire. I have BDBS in all 3 of my planted tanks and love it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts