The Planted Tank Forum banner

Strategies for feeding shy corys?

237 6
I have a lightly stocked tank with 6 harlequin rasboras, 10 rummynose tetras, and 3 sterbai corys

I feed sinking wafers for the corys so they can feed off the bottom. Problem is that my greedy rummynose tetras like to grab entire wafers and swim around with it in their mouths until they dissolve, not allowing the corys to really get any of it. I'm concerned that they are not being fed properly.

Anyone have ideas for ways around this?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I recently setup a 75 gallon with 10 sterbai cories and 30 green fire tetras. I went with the green fire tetras because they are not as fast and vigorous of eaters as some other tetras allowing more food to sink to the bottom. In this setup Micro pellets sink pretty fast; you can take a pinch and release it just below the water line to get it to sink faster if needed. Dried brine shrimp seems to sink fast enough as well. I put frozen blood warms in a small dish and let them thaw out then sink the dish and turn it over at the substrate, this is a big hit. Like Goodwood mentioned above I also tend to feed pretty heavy a couple times a week to ensure they are getting enough food. I'm up pretty late so sometimes i will throw a wafer or two in the tank when the tank is dark it generally hits the substrate. My pleco usually gets one of them and the cories get the others.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
This might sound dumb, but find some clear rigid tubing, like what was used for under gravel filter tubes. While you're feeding your other fish, use the tubing to direct sinking food down to the bottom wherever the cory cats hang out. If you keep some floating food on the surface, that should distract the other fish from going to the bottom to snag food meant for the cats.

I use to do this years ago when I had the same problem in a community tank. Once the cats get used to the tube being where their food comes from they'll likely not swim away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts