The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Either my Amazon Sword is mutated or something weird is happening...

I rooted my amazon sword in the sand near a java fern and another unknown plant about a year ago. Now, I just went to expect the plant. I pulled it out of the sand and noticed whatever the unknown plant was it was by has fused together with the amazon sword..

I don't know what it's called, but that brown thing at the base of the plant that roots come out of has the other plants root's coming out of it, and it's leaves.. so it's basically two plants in one.. an amazon sword and the unknown plant are both sprouting from the brown thing.. the bulb?

The root system is really big for the size of the plant. It is about 5" tall with the amazon sword leaves and whatever that other plant was growing out of it as well...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Many trees self-graft their root systems to each other and can actually share root systems when planted in close enough proximity. I'm pretty new to planted tanks, but would not be surprised if this is what the OP has observed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And your absolutely sure it's not just another amazon sword? Swords do multiply by dividing the main base into 2, or sometimes 3 or 4. The plants will be separated by a thick lateral stem that is no more than 1 cm long.
Sorry for such a late reply but no, the leaves are completely different, like a whole 'nother plant.

Will try to post pics in a few mins.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.