The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a pristella tetra that has an unknown cause for his swimming habit. I am wondering if anyone can tell me what may be causing him to swim or do the jig as it seems. He is always tail down nose up. He seems to be eating fine and does not have any other problems that I know of. I have had him since he was a baby, I got him with some other baby fish from a lfs, and he has always done this (as long as I can remember). Just curious what could cause this. The tank has been set up for years and everyone else in the tank is healthy and happy. Will try to post a vid if I can figure out how to. So I can not post a video so here are a couple of pics of the fish in question.
Sorry for the quality of the pics were taken with my phone.

View attachment 291985

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've seen fish do that it's really weird, it's like they're being electrocuted. It may be when they are shocked (emotionally), because I was at a petstore and a big fish kept attacking a smaller one and the smaller one kept jigging, almost convulsing. I don't know what causes it, my guess is stress or injury due to the context in which I observed the behavior.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think its from stress, he has always done that. Maybe an injury when he was just a fry.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Swim bladder issue? I've seen fish just the opposite way... Nose down, tail up. All the time! It was so funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts