The Planted Tank Forum banner

Strange sound from CO2 system

642 5
I have recently setup a CO2 system, it is up and running but I am facing a rather strange issue.

I am getting a 'tink' sound every few minutes when the solenoid is on. The duration between the sounds are related to the bubble per second. So initially I was getting the sound every 2 minutes. Then once I reduced the bubble/second, I am now getting the sound every six minutes.

I have no idea where this sound would be coming from and whether it is a cause for concern. This is the first time I am using a CO2 system so I have no idea if this is normal.

Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks in advance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Never had that issue. It may be related to the valve gate. It may not be open completely and as bubbles go past it it's probably making that sound. U will have to open it up to fix which again may not be a great idea. If u r getting a good uniform flow of bubbles without interruption u cud just ignore the sounds. Hope that was helpful.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
As there are so many ways to feed CO2, more info on exactly which set of reg, needle valve, solenoid, etc. may be needed to get closer to the correct answer. Meanwhile I might report on the only time I had a mystery noise from my CO2? Had an irritating "pop/click" sound that seemed to only occur when I was not near the tank.
Turned out to be the fish slapping and algea tab around!!!
Try to pin down that it is in fact the CO2, not some other random thing . Drove myself silly looking for the noise!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To narrow down the issue, I took off the top of the bubble counter as I had a check valve in the pipe, but the sound was still coming. It seemed the sound was coming when the gas was coming from cylinder to regulator.

So I took off the regulator and reconnected it firmly. Fortunately the sound is gone now!

I am using WYIN Pro CO2 regulator with Solenoid.

Thanks for your responses, appreciate it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.