The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tank with CRS, RCS and one ghost shrimp--palaemonetes sp.

Ive had berried females in each species--including the ghost shrimp with green eggs--which is weird because she is the only one of her type in the tank and she is much larger than the other shrimp.

There are baby crs and rcs all over the tank and there are also some babies that dont look like any of the other shrimp. They appear to have the body type of the crystals, but they have brown or black instead of red. The patch of dark color at their head is pretty big and I dont see much white-but they do seem to have some white. I thought they might be CBS but I dont have any adult CBS in there--would the CRS throw CBS babies with no adult CBS? Too small to take pics of them--they are growing though and there are lots of em.

Any idea how my one ghost shrmp keeps getting knocked up? I have done a lot of reading and dont see any mention of ghost shrimp breeding with crs or rcs.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I had a single ghost in my tank that kept throwing out eggs, Id guess they still produce eggs, but they just dont get fertilized, so they wont go anywhere... the ones mine kept giving out were kinda sickly looking. She would just hold em for a little bit under the tail and then a day or 2 later she would pluck em out one at a time and leave em on the substrate.

·
Registered
436 Posts
yeah, kinda felt bad for her, but I like to think that she likes being the only shrimp in 275gallons of water, she slipped into the bag of tetras when I bought em and the store gave her to me free. I bet she would have just been someones lunch otherwise...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried and failed miserably to take some pics last night. They are tiny, and I have some brown algae growing on the front glass that I dont want to clean off---the shrimp love eating it.

I guess I will just wait until they grow a bit and see what they look like. Im just wondering if there is something Im missing as far as cross breeding.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
A recessive trait isnt a guaranteed trait. Both parents must have the red gene to make a red, but what if each parent had half cbs genes but displayed red. Then the offspring would be black and red.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
If the red gene was recessive then in order to display red they shouldnt be able to carry the black gene. Color would be denoted by 1 gene from mom and 1 gene from dad. If red is recessive and black is dominant then both genes would have to be red to show red meaning they wouldnt have the black gene to pass on to their offspring. I dont think the color traits on these guys are a simple recessive or dominant. If that was the case a red bred to a black would produce 100% black that are carriers of red or "het" red. Also red to red would never be able to produce black. But they do??? So who knows really how the genes for these buggers actually works

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK-I took a couple of pics---not sure they are better than no pictures though--lol. Lots of glare and not a lot of focus. They were taken with my iphone so please forgive me. They are hard to see in person because of the size and color---even harder to capture with a camera.

Again, only one ghost shrimp, many cherry shrimp and some low grade crystal reds are in this tank--and then these babies. There are more of these than there are the crystal reds now. I have only seen 5 CRS babies. These unidentified shrimp ( assume they are CBS ) are approx the same size as the CRS babies. The thing that puzzles me is that they dont really have any true white on them. They are semi transparent--more like a cherry than a crystal. You can see at least one of the baby CRS and it has nice white stripes. Im pretty convinced that these are just low grade CBS offspring, there is not another logical explanation.

on top of the cholla--about mid way.

on the fork--near the cherries in the middle.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
really hard to tell with those pics but probably are baby CRS. I can kinda make out the coloring bands, or where the colors should be.
Yeah, I assume the same thing. Im just curious why most of this batch of babies is brown/black and clearish stripes while a handful of the same batch are bright red and white.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BUMP.

Any ideas on the reason for such a stark difference in the coloration of these shrimp--if they are Crystal Blacks, shouldnt they have some white on them like the reds from the same mama have? Ive only had one berried female, so it had to come from her only batch of babies---they are the same size as the Crystal red babies as well. I know the pics arent great, but you can clearly see the bright white on the crystal reds and there is no white on the brown/black ones.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Maybe wait till they get a bit bigger, its hard to tell anything from you photo really. Are you sure they are not cherries as they will be mostly clear with a bit of red or all clear at birth? I ask because I had cherries and crystals together and didn't even know I had a berried cherry yet I later found 2 baby cherry shrimp, so small egg load maybe for a first time mama and that's why I didn't notice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.