The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had three strange OEBT deaths yesterday, the bodies were all right next to each other. Bodies didn't look too white beyond what they look like when they normally die so I am not sure if its a bacterial infection. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Parameter range for the last month: Took readings at least one a week to see how long I could go between WCs.

PH: 7.2-7.4 (Stable at 7.2 only one reading of 7.4 and that was before my PH pen arrived)
TDS: 175-196 (@196 right now)
GH: 5 - Its ok where it is at but I want to slowly raise it to 6-7
KH: 1-2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 5-10 (@5 right now)
Temperature 21.5-22.3 C (Temp controller set at 22.0 C -71.6 F)

The only things that were changed by me:
-Changing temperature controller to 22.0 because fan was running constantly to keep tank at 21.3.
-New rotation of food - food day before I noticed deaths - Peters Laden's Omi Pro
-Added floaters from Betta only tank

I doubt its the Omi Pro since I fed it to other tanks and haven't noticed any deaths in those tanks. The OEBT have been happy in the tank and I noticed a few berried females awhile back. I can't think of why three adult female OEBTs died.

Could it be bad RO water? The last RO water I got tested at 50 TDS even thought he machine was serviced a day ago. I just received my RO/DI filter today so that won't be a problem any more.

I am going to change water for the first time in three weeks right now. I didn't bother since the TDS and Nitrates were low and changing the water would mess with the stability. Only top offs with RO.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
you are getting alot of swings in parameters. that is the main thing i see. and i would say nitrates at 10 is kinda bad. i always have some since mine were always in a planted tank but never got over 5. with you ph moving, tds moving, nitrates moving, its alot of stress. i would also take the heater out if you can. when i had oebt they had no prob being 65 degreese. but i would not get the temp above 72. and keep up on water changes even if the readings dont look off.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
You have to understand how shrimp get bacterial infections. IT's not from bad water necessarily. Any time you introduce them to anything new, whether it's a new water source, new plants, new livestock etc you introduce a new bacteria to them. Now, the average bear (shrimp) may be able to easily deal with that new bacteria...just like a kid who is taken to grocery stores, playgrounds, etc is exposed to new bacteria. Introduce a shrimp to new bacteria and a few scenarios can happen #1, the shrimp adapt and deal and nothing happens #2 the shrimp don't adapt as well due to shipping stress, etc and acquire an infection #3 infected shrimp die in the tank and healthy shrimp eat the bodies or molts and get the infection. Why does this happen and happen commonly with OEBTs? because they are so inbred for their color, their immune systems are crap. Some people have no issues, some people can't keep them for anything. WAY too many factors. High temps breed bacteria so that's why folks recommend against temps higher than 72.

Now, as for your actual question, if they all were found dead in one spot what was in that spot?? NEw plants, new food, did you disturb the substrate in that one spot? That is the thing that sounds odd.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
I would bump tds to 250 personally, and a gh of 8 ish. Thats where i keep mine at. Not sure if that was the cause of your deaths. But from my experience id say thats a good range.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found another dead shrimp in same spot. I haven't changed anything drastic besides what I listed before. I have even held off trimming the tank to keep them happy. Check the last pictures I posted in the journal, it's a mess of plants in there.

I do plan to raise the GH aiming for the 6-7 range. They were doing well but then all the sudden bam.

Btw the readings were over the course of a month. The low reading was the lowest it has gotten. The high reading was the highest it's been before a water change. The one 7.4 PH reading was from before I got my test pen, which I got because I got sick of trying to read the ph colors.

I used to keep them in a higher TDS tank but that was because I mixed tap with RO. Let's so what I can get slowly raising the GH every water change.

Recharged purigen going back in today and the heater will be unplugged.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am using two sponge filters in the breeder box, and have the ac20 set so it has a nice waterfall. I have an oxydator coming from Germany for the tank.

The first batch of OEBT came from these parameters: TDS 200-250 ppm, GH 7, pH 7.2-7.4, nitrite - 0, nitrate - 0-3, temperature 72-76.

Second came from these: ph 7.2 ish tds 220 ish gh 8-9 ish kh 2-3 ish.

So my GH and TDS is low. But the shrimp have been doing fine for over a month and have all had good molts. GH being low is my only explanation, just can't figure it out why they all die in that same spot.

·
Registered
635 Posts
My oebt are in water parameters...

Ph 6.6
Tds 180 - 200
Gh 7-8
Kh 0-1
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2-3
Temp 75

All my oebt breed readily and on a back to back cycle. Female berried drops her litter a week later BOOM berried again. I am going 300+ oebt right now.

·
Registered
635 Posts
You are running 2 sponge filters? How big? How big is your tank? Ac20 I am guessing it's a 20 gallon going by the guessing that your using required filtration for gallon size?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts