The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a few of these very small, almost saltwater like inverts in my tank today. They are very small, about a cm in size. They have a long foot and 5 tentacles off of the foot. White in color. They have attached themselves to some of my plants, driftwood, and the glass...

What are they!?

·
Registered
453 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Is hydra dangerous to fish or plants?

or is it a good source of food for them? if its a good source ofr natural food, how do you get them?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Solace said:
or is it a good source of food for them? if its a good source ofr natural food, how do you get them?

I just glanced quickly over that link above...and from memory, hydras are a pest...I am not sure how much they damage things, but I say read that article if you are interested. :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, that's them! Can they catch and kill my discus? Is there anyway of killing it without killing my shrimp? Currently there are no fish in the tank...what should I do!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know that the three-spot gourami (Trichogaster trichopterus) and the paradisefish (Macropodus opercularis) will both eat them. Hydra is sensetive to salt. 0.3-0.5% salinity is enough. I dont think its a problem for bigger fish but they can reproduce rather quickly.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I've got these things everywhere, and they're quickly becoming a nusance. I have both the white and green variety. Any idea what else will eat them, maybe something that won't eat my shrimp?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Gourami's will eat them in no time. I think I got Gold Gourami's but I think most if not all of them are hydra eaters.

Hydra are really not that big of a deal unless you are breeding fish.

·
Registered
842 Posts
They are in my shrimp and fry tanks, a big problem in both... Too bad a gourami would do more damage than the hydra....

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a bunch in a tank once, and the guppy fry in there cleaned them up in a few days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts