The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been keeping tropical fish for around forty years. Have seen my share of diseases, but nothing ever like this. Had a school of 9 neons when this started...down to 5 after about eight weeks. It's a forty-six gallon, planted tank...using CO2 and CF lights to stimulate plan growth. Neons tank mates are the usual suspects in this kind of environment...angels, a few corys. live bearers, etc.

Disease starts with what looks like a small, flesh-colored, soft, nodule around the mouth. Could be that it originates inside the stomach of the fish and comes out through the mouth. (Even examining a dead fish it is hard to tell). Nodule begins to grow in size, eventually forcing the fish to keep its mouth open constantly (gives a neon an almost zombie-like appearance). After a week or more, the fish dies or, in at least two cases, they jumped out of the tank. The disease is not particularly lethal or pathogenic...it spreads slowly but then eventually kills (infection rate has been about one fish every two weeks).

I don't think this is a fungus or parasite...it is really strange in that it always manifests in the same spot on the fish and never anywhere else. It is also this strange flesh color, not fuzzy or hard and white like you would expect. Anybody have any idea what the heck this is and how to kill it? One final thing...it is only effecting the neons in the tank...nothing else from what I can tell.

Thanks in advance,
Todd

·
Registered
378 Posts
When I hear of a disease which has body nodules and progresses slowly I think of two diseases. Neon Tetra disease, which this is typical presentation, but is reasonable here; and tuberculosis.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts