The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had these cardinals for a month and a half and they've all been healthy. Suddenly 3 of them died in a matter of hours. One looked like it got dropsy but I'm not exactly sure. I didn't see any signs yesterday until today I found dead stuck onto the filter intake. Anybody know what's going on?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
The fuzzy one looks like it's fungused and has probably been dead longer than the others.
Hard to determine COD from just slightly tattered corpses. Can you test your water? A tiny parameter spike would be normal thanks to the dead fish, but a bigger spike might kill them.
What else is in the tank and how are they doing?
Any flashing? Any signs of ich?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Ditto Betta132,

How have the test results been? Any changes recently, to the tank (new fish, moved things around...) or in the test results (gradually climbing something or other... )

Cardinals cannot tolerate high GH- their body accumulates calcium until it can kill them- What is the GH of the tank?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I better head to the store and get some gh and kh test kits. I'm suspecting this was from an ammonia spike so I'll do a few water changes. No more cardinals had died, just these. Very strange

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Post all test results (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, GH, KH, temperature).

Does that puffed up cardinal look to have fungus growth (normal on dead fish), or are the actual scales pineconing?
The other two cardinals look fairly normal, don't really see any external signs. Any external physical signs we can't see or any behavioral symptoms you noticed before death?
Done anything different recently that may have caused this hiccup?

Don't know about everyone else, but in my tanks, even leaving a rotting fish to fully decay, test kits would never detect ammonia or nitrites, not even a hint. I guess the filters have always kept any ammonia/nitrite converted down to nitrates quickly and constantly so that there would be no detectable levels. I would even collect water near the rotting corpses and still nothing. Used 2 different API liquid kits, used a test strip and even had my LFS test (all measuring total ammonia, and my pH is around 7.4). I do overstock though, overfilter and over feed heavily. I guess over feeding most days of the week, the bacteria colonies grew to a larger size to handle those daily nitrogen spikes when I feed, so a little rotting fish is not much in comparison.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I better head to the store and get some gh and kh test kits. I'm suspecting this was from an ammonia spike so I'll do a few water changes. No more cardinals had died, just these. Very strange
What makes you think you had an ammonia spike?

That one fish looks to be suffering from more than just dropsy. Looks fuzzy almost like freshwater velvet. Not all too common but not impossible either.

Any other fish in this tank besides the cardinals?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts