The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fed my fish frozen mysis shrimp for the first time recently, which they seemed to really enjoy. I regularly offer frozen brine from the same manufacturer, and followed my normal process. They were defrosted first, and then warmed to tank temperature by swirling them in a small cup of tank water before adding.

Almost immediately after feeding, one of my rummynose tetras started to have issues staying upright - it would tip to the side as though it was going to turn belly up, and then right itself before doing it again. The issue resolved itself without any intervention and the fish has been fine since, but it's made me wary of feeding mysis again. Nobody else had any issues.

Any ideas what could've happened/how I could avoid it? I'd like to keep offering this food as they enjoyed it and I have the whole pack still, but only if it's safe! Thanks!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Perhaps there was an air bubble in one of the mysis? Swallowing air would affect the fishes buoyancy, but would resolve itself.
Thanks very much! That was basically what I figured - it seemed like an air bubble type issue. Safe to keep feeding, then, assuming I don't see it happen frequently? Would soaking the mysis in tank water for a longer time help at all?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts