The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

This is my 15g shrimp tank, nothing special in terms of aquascaping but I'm having an issue with my middle plant. Something really strange has been growing and I have no idea what it is. The picture isn't great because I'm not at home so a friend took it but could you take a guess? Its look like ------x----------x----------x

Attachments

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I can't remember the name but it is a carnivorous invasive plant, remove ALL of it ASAP. This is a common hitch-hiker plant that you do not want to have taking over your tank.

·
Registered
376 Posts
It is Utricularia gibba. Like captain_blu said, crazy invasive carnivorous plant(bladderwort). Pull it out, once it gets really tangled in your plants it can be a pain to get rid of.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
It is Utricularia gibba. Like captain_blu said, crazy invasive carnivorous plant(bladderwort). Pull it out, once it gets really tangled in your plants it can be a pain to get rid of.
I was just about to say that;)

Are you telling me that those strands of algae will eat a fish?? o_o
Just like UG, the carnivorous bladders are only small enough to capture microorganisms. So no, they won't eat fish, or even baby shrimp.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Just like UG, the carnivorous bladders are only small enough to capture microorganisms. So no, they won't eat fish, or even baby shrimp.
OOHHH ok lol. I was thinking maybe that stuff killed my GBR.

HAHA.

·
Banned
332 Posts
U. Gibba can be a real nuisance to remove especially from moss or dense foreground plantings. Apparently they have a nice little flower though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts