The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do people get such straight stems as well as keep away tangles? I just bought a bunch, and when I planted them they were all zig zaggy... and now they're all tangled up too.

Looking at people's journal pics, seems like they mostly have quite straight stems and plants, and plants aren't all jumbled together. Is it spacing? Is it plant quality? Do I suck?

Help! Thanks.

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
What stems are you having problems with? Most stems I receive are somewhat crooked or bent over. After a few days in the tank, the stems straighten up as they grow towards the light. I usually space out my stems giving them 1/2" to 1" between them. Some stems like R rotundifolia get twisted up if I have a strong current blowing on them.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
R. Rotundifolia. :) I have a powerhead in there that does create quite a current, but this plant is on the opposite side, so it's not affected much. I think my spacing is not far enough... and the plants have been in for maybe 3 weeks? Long enough that I would have thought they would have straightened up a bit. They are even getting new growth on the tops, but just still all twisty.

My P. Erectum is all janky too... :( and most of my stems for that matter... my tank maybe a bit tall and not good enough light penetration.. not sure.

24" tall tank with 4 28w bulbs t5 NO.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I only have the bent look problem with the stems at the back of the tank. I'm sure it's because I don't have enough light back there.

SteveU

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's a super quick snapshot... pardon the glass...

but the R. rotundifolia in the back is what I am talking about, and maybe that is the problem.. not enough light. It is pushing new growth though.

My plants aren't doing all that great... I have been dosing with excel and comprehensive as directed by the bottle.. I"m wondering if I should dose more though...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.