The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new here, but I thought I would post my first tank. I used to have a 10 gallon fish only tank about 25 years ago, and this is my first planted tank. Please give me tips and suggestions! I am a total noobie when it comes to aquascape and planted tanks in general.

Tank:

• Fluval Edge Black
Lighting (coming soon):

Substrate:

Hardscape:

Flora:

• Java moss
  • Java fern
  • Anubias Nana
  • Crypt Parva
  • Large stem/leaf plant that I forgot the name of... :(
Fauna (coming soon):

• 4 Crystal Red Shrimp
  • 2 Blue Tiger Shrimp
  • 6 Cardinal Tetra

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a lot of questions for some of the experienced aquarists on the board. I would greatly appreciate some help here:

Plants:

• When planting my Anubias Nana, Crypt Parva, and Java Fern, I removed the steel wool and planted them directly in the substrate, trying not to damage the roots while doing so. I read that this might be bad, and that I should attach them to rocks or driftwood instead. Will they be ok?
  • This tank will be a low-light, low tech tank, with just the 240 lumens LED lighting it for a 12 hour photoperiod. I would like to have a carpet, so I was thinking of adding Marsilea Minuta. Would this be a good way to carpet the tank?
  • Right now I'm just dosing Flourish, but I was thinking of dosing Flourish Excel and possibly upping the light, would this be a bad idea? Please help because I'm new here. I tried to pick low light/low tech plants, but I want to make sure they thrive, while avoiding algae.
Filtration:

• Right now I have the foam mechanical, carbon, as well as bio filter. Would it be better to remove the carbon filter and add a second bio filter? I've heard that the carbon filter can remove my Flourish ferts.
  • I'm planning on waiting a week, adding just a few shrimp, then letting the tank cycle for about a month before adding the rest of the shrimp and the tetras. Is this the best/safest way to cycle the tank? I have an API test kit and will test Ammonia/PH/Nitrate/Nitrite weekly.
Fish:

• If I added a couple dwarf Corydoras catfish, would their barbs be damaged by the Eco Complete substrate? Also, I heard that Corys have to breath air sometimes (not sure if this is true or not) - the Edge has a very small opening at the top and I'm afraid they might not be able to reach it. Would this be an issue?
I'm still planning on adding Fissidens Fontanus to the top of the driftwood and Marsilea Minuta as a carpet, so hopefully my tank will turn into a beautifully 'scaped environment for my shrimp and tetras. Thanks again for all your tips/advice!

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I have a lot of questions for some of the experienced aquarists on the board. I would greatly appreciate some help here:

Plants:

• When planting my Anubias Nana, Crypt Parva, and Java Fern, I removed the steel wool and planted them directly in the substrate, trying not to damage the roots while doing so. I read that this might be bad, and that I should attach them to rocks or driftwood instead. Will they be ok?
  • This tank will be a low-light, low tech tank, with just the 240 lumens LED lighting it for a 12 hour photoperiod. I would like to have a carpet, so I was thinking of adding Marsilea Minuta. Would this be a good way to carpet the tank?
  • Right now I'm just dosing Flourish, but I was thinking of dosing Flourish Excel and possibly upping the light, would this be a bad idea? Please help because I'm new here. I tried to pick low light/low tech plants, but I want to make sure they thrive, while avoiding algae.
Filtration:

• Right now I have the foam mechanical, carbon, as well as bio filter. Would it be better to remove the carbon filter and add a second bio filter? I've heard that the carbon filter can remove my Flourish ferts.
  • I'm planning on waiting a week, adding just a few shrimp, then letting the tank cycle for about a month before adding the rest of the shrimp and the tetras. Is this the best/safest way to cycle the tank? I have an API test kit and will test Ammonia/PH/Nitrate/Nitrite weekly.
Fish:

• If I added a couple dwarf Corydoras catfish, would their barbs be damaged by the Eco Complete substrate? Also, I heard that Corys have to breath air sometimes (not sure if this is true or not) - the Edge has a very small opening at the top and I'm afraid they might not be able to reach it. Would this be an issue?
I'm still planning on adding Fissidens Fontanus to the top of the driftwood and Marsilea Minuta as a carpet, so hopefully my tank will turn into a beautifully 'scaped environment for my shrimp and tetras. Thanks again for all your tips/advice!
Do not bury the rhizome of the anubias and Java fern or else it will rot and kill the plant.

I don't know anything about LED's or fluval lighting so I can't answer those questions sorry.

Shrimp + tetra's + cory cats will be fish overload for such a small tank.

I would probably take out the carbon, it really doesn't hold it's weight unless trying to remove medications and will break down quickly becoming worthless.

·
Banned
662 Posts
I use my edge as a mini grow out tank for a few rams at a time if I get any from my breeder until I think they won't get eaten in the 75. Other than that it's a cherry shrimp only tank. The corys and tetras would like a little more space to move around. I tried having a few corys in mine before but I felt bad and moved them into the 75 gal.
Maybe try a small school of white clouds in there? Could work possibly but they might also enjoy a larger tank too.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just unburied the Anubias Nana and all Java ferns. The Anubias wanted to float so I tied it to a small rock with thread. Thank you! My (hopefully) unmelted plants thank you!

I will start with just a few shrimp and then see how it goes. Let's say I forget the Corys and just have about 4 shrimp, would the 6 cardinal tetras still be overkill? Assuming I have a nice carpet of crypt parva or marsilea minuta and a fleshed out Fissidens tree top?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok a lot of changes recently. I decided to make this a shrimp tank:

• 3 Amano Shrimp
  • 10 CRS grades A - SSS
  • 1 Red Cherry Shrimp
  • 1 Sunkist Shrimp
  • 1 Otocinclus
Plants are showing a ton of new growth. I moved the Anubias Nana to the background and added a Marsilea Minuta foreground, as well as a few stems.

I replaced the stock halogens with MR16 LEDs and am battling a little bit of a hair algae problem at the moment. I'm reducing photo period to 6 hours. Unfortunately the Edge has a pretty poor light angle/placement so you end up with way too much light by the opening at the top.

The rocks in the front left/right corners covered with Fissidens are not permanent - I'm just storing a bunch of moss for future use. :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use my edge as a mini grow out tank for a few rams at a time if I get any from my breeder until I think they won't get eaten in the 75. Other than that it's a cherry shrimp only tank. The corys and tetras would like a little more space to move around. I tried having a few corys in mine before but I felt bad and moved them into the 75 gal.
Maybe try a small school of white clouds in there? Could work possibly but they might also enjoy a larger tank too.
Hey, do your rams eat shrimp? I saw a couple electric blue rams at the LFS today and they look really awesome. Of course any fish will probably eat baby shrimp so I might not want any if I plan on breeding CRS...

·
Banned
662 Posts
They will eat the babies but the juvies I get aren't large enough to take adult shrimp. Adult rams love shrimp.
Oh and otos are a shoaling fish I believe so they like to be in groups.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Rams are shrimp assassins. In a heavily planted tank adult shrimp will probably do okay but baby shrimp will get picked off pretty quickly. This is how, over a period of about two years, I went from having a thriving population of red cherry shrimp in my 30gal to my current somewhat hanging in there colony of mostly brownish cherry shrimp- natural selection, only the babies that could blend in survived.

Anyway, I wouldn't put a pair of Rams in anything less than a 20gal... they like to move around quite a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.