The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently off at college and I'm slowly getting out of the hobby. With all of the new 'activities' ;) college has introduced to me, my interest in fish tanks has been slowly fading. I have a 75 gallon back home, that I'm debating whether to sell it or hold on to it until I graduate to use it in the future. I've invested a lot into this hobby and I'd hate to have to sell it for cheap.

Anyways, I have about 100lbs of eco-complete that's currently sitting in that empty tank. I was wondering if there would be any problems with storing that for the next few years, in a sealed container? I bought that stuff before I knew all about dirt/MTS and cheap clay based substrates. It costed me over $100 and I'm thinking it may be more economic in the long run if I can store it somewhere, so if I ever do want to get back into it I'll have plenty of substrate.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Another way to look at it is. You will always find people going in and out of the hobby so used/cheap setup are plenty to be found. Whenever you are ready to return to the hobby years down the line the tank/gear would have changed significantly. And often time we never return to a hobby once left. I have tons of "stuff" in the garage to attest to this.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
You can store substrate for a long time.
I would make sure it is dry. Spread out the EC in the sun, if it is still damp, turn it over a few times, then store it. A 5 gallon bucket is a good holding container (will be very heavy).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.