The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm moving into my parents house for a few months (sold my house before the new house is built) and I have need to store a 210 gallon aquarium that's currently setup and in use by the boyfriend as a reef tank.

My parents don't have room and it's not fully stocked so we're temporarily downsizing it into a 65 gallon and will be moving everything back into the 210 after we're in our new house.

How should we store the 210? We have both a climate controlled storage unit and an non-climate controlled one. The only problem with putting it in the climate controlled one is space is at a premium. Thoughts on if I should make room for it in the climate controlled storage unit or if it'd be okay in the larger, non-controlled storage unit. For what it's worth, I'm in Kentucky and our summers max out at 100-105.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Silicone should not be affected by temp I wouldn't think.
Ive had no problems with tanks stored in my garage for upwards of a year before being used again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I stored two tanks in a Kentucky storage unit for two years. No issues.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Climate controlled or not?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I used to believe that temp. extremes were to be avoided. I now have lots of proof that's not the case, so I agree 100% with all of the above.

Just keep in mind that critters like mice can do some goofy damage. Also being a reef, take extra time to wipe it down really good and don't leave any coralline residue at all. Once the stuff dries in place it's much tougher to remove and can leave behind some etching on the glass; I have proof of that as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to believe that temp. extremes were to be avoided. I now have lots of proof that's not the case, so I agree 100% with all of the above.

Just keep in mind that critters like mice can do some goofy damage. Also being a reef, take extra time to wipe it down really good and don't leave any coralline residue at all. Once the stuff dries in place it's much tougher to remove and can leave behind some etching on the glass; I have proof of that as well.

Thank you for the tip on the coraline. We plan on getting him a bigger tank soon after the house is finished and I was going to take it over as my primarly tank since it's not drilled. A planted tank would look goofy with coraline ghost images etched into it's glass!

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Definite deep cleaning is helpful but then the temp is not something I would worry about. I have bought several used tanks out of storage lockers in this area and the temperature here is HOT! First year here, the temperature was over 100 on more than 90 days. I think the high was 114!
The main problem I see in stored tanks is the lack of care. When moving it is real easy to let down on some of the common sense items due to the hassle of moving. Set it flat, don't store junk in it like oil cans or tools. Treat it like glass? If it is clean and smells like it, mice are less prone to move in but a few rat bars placed here and there in the unit can help that.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Thank you for the tip on the coraline. We plan on getting him a bigger tank soon after the house is finished and I was going to take it over as my primarly tank since it's not drilled. A planted tank would look goofy with coraline ghost images etched into it's glass!
My 125G was a reef for years. I designed the room so I would have rear access to it. Made it pretty convenient maintenance-wise. But that also let light behind the stacks of live rock. Just enough that over time, there was a layer of coralline on the rear glass with lots of rock in front of it. when I tore down the reef, I got it all off but there were spots that were just a real bear. There's a handful of fuzzy spots on the rear panel but nothing you can really take notice of from the front thankfully.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts