The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just got back from petsmart with some plants, looks like some sort of grass, it came in a little plastic cage incasing the sponge holding the plant's roots, do I plant the sponges that the roots are in, because I did :icon_eek:

·
Registered
885 Posts
i would take the plants apart so you you clumps 1/4- 1/2 inch diameter (smaller the better) then plant these smaller clumps in a checkerboard pattern(if you want a carpet).

then trim all of them so the green part sticking out of the soil is only 1 - 1 1/2 inch long this will promote them to send out runners and spread rather than wasting all their energy being tall.

use a pair of tweezers if you can to plant the clumps and plant them a little deeper than you need, followed by pulling on the plant a little to get it at the right height. doing this helps the roots end up pointing down and lets them unball up easier in my experience.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.