The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently set up 2.5 gallon tank, and its been running about 10 days now. I'm still in school, and I do all my homework at my desk in my room, the tank also sits on my desk. Anyways, in about a week or so, I'll be adding some shrimp to the tank. Is there anything I could put under the tank so if I drop a pen or put down a book too hard the shrimp won't freak out from the sound and vibrations? I've got syrofoam and some other kind of softer foam laying around, I just don't know if putting it under the tank will do any good.

·
Registered
885 Posts
i use the non slip drawer/pantry liner stuff under my tanks works pretty good for vibe stop, i guess. My 2.5 is on the desk and the shrimp seem to be ok, never noticing them being jumpy when i set my keys on the desk ect.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, I'm really liking the camping or yoga mat idea. I'm not planning to get another nano, but then again, I planned to stop after one tank. So much for that...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am hooked on the nano tanks. My other tank is a 10 gallon, it got kinda boring, and whenever I am doing work on it, it just seems like a nuisance. However I can't keep my hands out of the 2.5 gallon tank, I enjoy working in it, and it is more of a challenge. Like I said, I'm not planning on getting another, put it will inevitably happen sooner or later.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, no problem. I'll do one tank with camping/yoga mat, and the other (a fry raising tank, my Heterandria Formosa are breeding like crazy) I'll do with styrofoam or something like that.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks, no problem. I'll do one tank with camping/yoga mat, and the other (a fry raising tank, my Heterandria Formosa are breeding like crazy) I'll do with styrofoam or something like that.
the reason i didnt use/suggest styrofoam is because its going to be there "forever" it will just look ugly & a black camping mat isnt very obvious. let us know which you decide on & photos are always good :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not too worried about the look, right now it has an ugly (but effective) light reflector, when I get that fixed I'll try and make it look better.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Craft foam from hobby lobby in the kids art section would work well, 1.77 a sheet.

Doubt you really need to do anything at all, though.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The styrofoam worked better than yoga mat type stuff, but it looks a lot worse. If I throw my keys on the desk, the fish in the styrofoam tank dont jump or anything, but in the yoga mat tank, they do a little but not bad. Also, just bumping the desk, the styrofoam tank is fine, but in the yoga mat tank, they freak out a little.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts