The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have a soil planted tank, 20 tall for nearly a year now and for 3 months I have had a recurring problem with one of my fish.
My Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami seems to have developed what looks like lymphocystis.

Pictures of cyst on request since the site will not let me post urls yet.

It grows big and always in the same spot. Resembles a cauliflower.
I've been treating my fish with salt baths which makes the cyst peel and fall off leaving a red mark in which the cyst eventually comes back.
I've also attempted to treat the water after much research, with tea tree oil.

Reading up on the disease, it pretty much sounds like a fish equivalent to a cold sore and in mild cases is more annoying than harmful to the fish, but can be brought on by stress or poor immunio response. I've been trying to beef of the immunity response for him via the teatree oil and the salt baths and it has had good results but offers only temporary relief for him as it grows back.

He is outwardly healthy, curious, and fearless. The growth has not done anything negative toward his appetite or demeanor nor does he attempt to rub it off.

So I ask what can I do to make things more comfortable for my Gourami.
Is there any kind of food well suited for stress, or is there something I can do to my tank to help him out?

Current Tank Stock and stats:
20 gal tall, heavily planted.

1 dwarf PB Gourami
3 otos
1 dwarf clown pleco

ph: 7-7.5
nitrites/ammonia: 0
Nitrates: light fluctuations 0-5
Temp: 80
20%-40% water changes bi weekly.
Whisper 30 gal filter on low
Aeration through a bubble stone

Diet:
Nutridiet Betta Pellets
Baby Shrimp
Tetra Min flakes
Romaine Lettuce (I put it in the tank for the pleco but he will actively eat it.)

Any help or suggestions are welcome!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Look into Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus . It too is viral and more common in DG then many are aware of...
When he first showed signs of the cyst I thought it was Iridovirus and considered euthanizing due to it not being curable and sounds like a horrible deteriorative disease...
But, since the disease doesn't seem to be contagious to non-labyrinth organed fish, I kept him in the main tank and continued observation. He hasn't show any signs of swelling or deterioration. He is a very avid eater and has shown no behavioral changes for the last 3 months the cyst has been present so signs are pointing toward lymphocytes.

Regardless, thanks for the suggestion since Iridovirus is a very real problem with DGs and definitely shares symptoms.

Look into Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus . It too is viral and more common in DG then many are aware of...
When he first showed signs of the cyst I thought it was Iridovirus and considered euthanizing due to it not being curable...
But, since the disease doesn't seem to be contagious to non-labyrinth organed fish, I kept him in the main tank and continued observation. He hasn't show any signs of swelling or deterioration. He is a very avid eater and has shown no behavioral changes for the last 3 months the cyst has been present so signs are pointing toward lymphocystis.

Regardless, thanks for the suggestion since Iridovirus is a very real problem with DGs and definitely shares symptoms.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts