The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone got a good site for some aquarium safe stones/rocks? All the rocks around here sedimentary rocks that Im afraid will leach carbonates into the aquarium. Im really kinda looking for some smallish rocks/stones to use as a retaining wall. The LFS around here is very expensive(at least I think) for just slate, and I wanted to use something a little more natural looking then a slate wall..

·
Registered
119 Posts
Try the aquaforest. I don't know the website, but I've seen them selling stones.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try the aquaforest. I don't know the website, but I've seen them selling stones.
Your thinking of aquaforestaquarium.com I have looked there and they are out of the Seiryu Stones. Those are the types I think Im looking for...Anyone else got a suggestion? Or will I just have to wait till they get some in stock?

Anyone know anything about these Seiryu Stones? How dense are they? Is 5lbs one rock? or is it multiple rocks? Anyone got any sizes on the rocks they had recieved?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Does anyone got a good site for some aquarium safe stones/rocks? All the rocks around here sedimentary rocks that Im afraid will leach carbonates into the aquarium. Im really kinda looking for some smallish rocks/stones to use as a retaining wall. The LFS around here is very expensive(at least I think) for just slate, and I wanted to use something a little more natural looking then a slate wall..
Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but I have gobs of great agates and such that don't alter the ph. We did an entire background for our 65g out of them and it looks awesome! When I can figure out how to attach a picture here from my hard drive, I'll post it so you can see it if you want. We used "slabs" that are about 1/4" thick.

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
New Mariner, try going to a local nursery or a landscape supply place. You will have a good chance of picking up something "aquarium appropriate", shall we say, at one of those places.

As far as Aqua Forest is concerned, I am sure they will get the stones eventually.

However, realize that the absolute best stones, the super duper "knock you socks off rocks" don't make it out of ADA's grasp! :icon_wink Then consider the guys at Aqua Forest may take some of the better stones for themselves (they are hobbyists after all) and the pickin's get even slimmer. Tossing in another two cents - all the ADA stones I have ever seen have been shards and fragments.

Mike

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I am interested in seeing saganco's rocks :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have gobs of great agates
Im not certain I know what Great agates look like...is this natural stone or is it some man made stuff? A pic would be great.!

Momo,

My wife has mentioned the nursery as an alternative. Im just trying to gather options vs price. Nurseries I believe would carry bigger rocks then what Im looking for as those typically are used for landscape..I do plan on going to check them out just to see to make sure, but I dont want any boulders:hihi:

·
Registered
734 Posts
I am interested in seeing saganco's rocks :)
I think I got this pic attachment thing... let's try -

Hope that works... (or maybe it's this way:
)

MikeNas102 - did you mean that I should put that pic in my sig?

NewMariner said:
Im not certain I know what Great agates look like...is this natural stone or is it some man made stuff? A pic would be great.!
Go to eBay - agate slabs -polished, Rocks, Fossils, Minerals, Cultures, Ethnicities items on eBay.com and scroll thru the pics - these are natural stones/rocks with the exception of dyed brazilian agates like these: eBay: Super Pink Circled Designed Agate Slab (item 260090357938 end time Mar-02-07 18:00:00 PST)
Mine are MUCH cheaper than these guys - I sell in bulk cheap because I've traded in my rock hobby for fish, but still have lots of rock to sell cheaply. If interested in more info, please PM me so we don't thread hijack.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The landscaping rock places in my neighborhood often have some great rocks that work good in aquariums, but they don't last very long before they are all sold. When I got mine I went back a few days later to buy some for someone on this forum and they were all gone. So, I think the best idea is to visit one of those places every few days while you are looking - you never know what you will find.

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
Visiting one of those places during the winter when folks aren't thinking about landscaping just yet may be a good idea as well.

Mike

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
For those of us who live near mountains, well, we have it easy. I don't think most granite type rocks will leach; yet I don't know that as a certainty. But when I was hiking up at Mt. Rainier Natl. Park this summer, I saw a lot of rocks with potential. I was wishing I had an afternoon by myself - to really scour, but it was a family hike with a sister in law into triathlons.:eek: So, this summer, I'm going hunting for the tanks. I'll bring some Boric (edit HCL) acid with me.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
:help: I knew someone would say that. I edited in Muriatic just for someone like Rex.:hihi:

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Boric acid? You have eye problems? That's about all it's good for.
My bad (Muriatic) or HCL. Must of been from the old days when you had to add Boran to CSM. Or from the really old days... the ' 60s:hihi:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts