The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Recently I have fallen in love with peacock gudgeons and I am starting to think about having them as the main, possibly only, species in the 20 gallon long I am currently building up. Since I am still in the build stage I have the luxury of adjusting the hardscape to suit the gudgeons from the ground up. I was originally planning to go a different direction and purchased two pieces of rock that I liked from a local fish store that was labeled as Japanese mountain stone. I am now thinking this rock is seryiu stone and it does indeed fizz if I put vinegar on it which I understand is common for seryiu. Since my water is already on the harder side, I am thinking I might want to see if I can exchange the stone I have for something else and wanted some advice from the experts since I have zero aquascaping skills (my last tank was a collecteritis jungle).

From what I've read, peacock gudgeons like lots of places to lurk, hide, and breed so I was thinking of getting a bunch of the roundish smooth river stone and building a pile with lots of nooks and crannies and then incorporating driftwood of some sort as well. For flora, I was originally planning to focus on rooted, epiphytic plants, and moss primarily but I'm sure some stems will find their way in there somewhere. If I did go with the stacked rock pile I was thinking it would be a great place to have the epiphytes and then having the moss wrapped around the driftwood. Background and middle ground I was thinking mainly crypts, smaller swords, and likely some form of lily for a pop of color. For the foreground, I really want to try dwarf hair grass since I didn't have enough light for it in the past. Since 20 longs don't have much depth from front to back in my head I am thinking the hardscape would kind of flow from a back corner both forward and laterally, but I'm not sure how I would make that happen.

Before I fell in love with the gudgeons I was planning to have plants growing emergent out of the top of the tank. However, the gudgeons are supposed to be jumpers so probably not the best option. I am considering converting it but leaving a small inch or so strip open in the back where taller emergent plants could grow, especially since I have a bunch of light spill they could utilize.

Please let me know your thoughts and any suggestions or comments, I need all the help I can get with aquascaping! Tank details are below.

Tank: 20 gallon long with 10-gallon sump
Light: 36" Finnex Ray2 DS suspended above the tank (lots of light spill but it's what I had)
CO2: Pressurized using a TBD diy reactor
Substrate: Not finalized but likely potting soil capped with sand (black diamond or pool filter?)
Water Parameters:
10-11 dGH
7-8 dKH
pH 7.6~7.8

Various Pictures:

The rocks that failed fizz test. Sad since I find them very attractive and they were very expensive (at least I thought so)

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm having a very hard time deciding what direction to go with this tank. It seems like every day I've cooked up a new scheme in my head for scaping, fauna, and flora. My water parameters and tank size seem to be the only major limiting factor since I'll be running co2, dosing, and should have enough light for most plants. I really want to have a more thought-out scape this time around so if you have any suggestion or ideas on what sort of scape you would do for this set up I am all ears.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.