The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie in the planning stages of my 55g and i think i have some good choices but i wanted to rub it by some more experienced people. My list includes 2 angels, 2-3 dwarf gouramis, 1 rts, 2-3 otos, 4-5 harlequin rasboras, 4-5 cardinal tetras, about 15 or so shrimp, maybe a bristlenose pleco, 4-5 rummynose tetras, probably some neons too (idk tho), and i would love to have a few glass cats (I just think that they're neat lol). My tank will be a low light/low tech tank that will be moderately planted. Will this be too many in a 55g? Will these species be compatible with each other? And if so what order should i introduce them? I know that i'd love to get the angels first because they're my gf's favorites and i want them to be kinda of a surprise. But if I need to wait on them then that's ok, just as long as get them in there so she don't hurt me lol. thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Those are schooling fish and they should be kept in groups of at least 7 for them to feel safe/comfortable, except for the dwarf gouramis, a harem of 3 would be okay. Oh and the otos but I would have 5 or 6. In my opion I think it might look better to have a group of 20 Rummys OR 25 rasboras OR 25 tetras they all school well instead of a mix, it would make a fantastic large school.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
703 Posts
I agree completely, although it seems to newbies variety is the way to go, having nicer schools of less types ends up creating the more attractive setup, and by keeping larger groups of social fish we are keeping them much more naturally. This is especially so with fish with strong schooling instincts like rummy nose and glass cats.

Angels can work fine in pairs, but they are actually fish that exist in large groups as well. Keep in mind that two random Angels may start fighting and it's helpful to start with extra juveniles at first to ensure compatibility when they mature.

Angels are pretty much fine, but you should be aware that when grown they will eat small fish and shrimp, and neons are a natural food for them. The mix can work, especially in a large and well planted tank, but you should be aware of future possibilities.

And if you are new to keeping aquariums of any type, try not to stock it to the max - lighter stocking will make things easier to maintain and decrease chances of problems, and when a tank is decorated nicely cramming in a zillion fish, and a zillion types, only takes away from it all.

·
Registered
103 Posts
A lot of the fish you proposed may make a quick meal of most shrimp. Gouramis, angels, glass cats, and maybe tetras will eat your shrimp. If you are serious about shrimp, you could go for otos, a big school of rummy noses, which I don't believe will harm shrimp, maybe cory cats.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Also order doesn't matter much, but Otos have a harder time adjusting and are best added only once the tank is mature and stable and you've got a good grip on things - lots of people have troubles with these guys.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for all the help annd suggestions. I think I will narrow my schooling fish down to several of a couple of species. Maybe the cardinals and rummynoses. Would the red tail shark be ok with the otos?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
2 angels
2-3 dwarf gouramis
1 rts
2-3 otos
4-5 harlequin rasboras
4-5 cardinal tetras
15 or so shrimp
a bristlenose pleco
4-5 rummynose tetras
55gals. Here is what I would do.

3 Angels
8 Rummies
8 Cardinals
1 Bristlenose
2-3 Otos
Add all the shimp you want. GRANTED you will only be adding them for food because the Angles and the tetras WILL EAT them.
I had a very similar setup. Sorry I dont know what RTS is.

EDIT.

ADD THE Angels LAST.....

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Just so the shrimp can start breeding like rabbits before the big monster comes and gobbles them up....

DOESNT matter once the angels get in there, they'll be picking them off ONE by ONE.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not very savvy on the shrimp species so here's another question lol. What's the difference between the ghost and amano shrimp other than the color. I was choosing the ghost for their cleaning ability from what my lfs told me, but he also never mention the amanos.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I wouldnt even bother with shrimp, thats some expensive fish food!! If you really want shrimp you could look at bamboo shrimp.

I started in this hobby 9 months ago and did exactly what your doing, loads of different types with no cohesion between them. I have re-homed a lot of them now...
IMO a few large schooling fish is better than many, ie 15 rummy nose tetra, 8x 5 banded barbs, 3 angels and a nice pleco. (plus cleaner crew.. otos, nerites or even khuli loaches)
If you want a really pretty tank then it is well worth looking for fish from the same area.. focus plants and fish together.. south american fish with ferns, swords and crypts etc...

But it is all taste.. bare in mind if you over stock the tank will never feel serene just busy..
good luck :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Also, do not buy ghost/glass cats, they are a waste of time in planted tanks as they are nocturnal, will hide all day and just take up bio-load.
They are also a PITA to catch afterwards.. as are all fish in planted tanks, just more so as they are so nervous!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah I think I'm gonna drop the glass cats all together and just do a couple of larger schools of cardinals and rummynoses ( say 7-10 each), 2 angels, 3 dwarf gouramis, a red tail shark, and a few otos. Does this sound like a better setup or would this be overstocking my tank (55g)? If I drop the shrimp, will the otos be able to handle the clean up? I know they won't clean it all up, of course lol.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.