The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for stocking suggestions for my 300lt tank.. i planted it recently .. I want to keep the stocking minimum one schooling fish species in large number and maybe a couple of rams and rest is cleanup crew..

I was looking at rummynose at first but they are too fast . I want something thats more peaceful to look at. So Im thinking maybe harlequin rasbora due to their wife body that would look good in there because my tank is 2ft tall. But then theres hengeli rasbora that caught my attention.. but I never saw them in person..
Plant Wood Terrestrial plant Grass Aquatic plant

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hengeli rasboras are a lot smaller and might not be as noticeable in a tank that size unless you get a LOT of them. I would go with the harlequins. As an aside, try to put your CO2 diffuser as low in the water column as possible. It will give the CO2 more time to dissolve into the water.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Im looking for stocking suggestions for my 300lt tank.. i planted it recently .. I want to keep the stocking minimum one schooling fish species in large number and maybe a couple of rams and rest is cleanup crew..

I was looking at rummynose at first but they are too fast . I want something thats more peaceful to look at. So Im thinking maybe harlequin rasbora due to their wife body that would look good in there because my tank is 2ft tall. But then theres hengeli rasbora that caught my attention.. but I never saw them in person.. View attachment 1034823
If you want some nice little ones neon tetras may work or a bunch of colorful fancy guppies

·
Registered
580 Posts
Cardinals are nicer looking than neon and are quite tranquil just sitting around all day looking pretty. Guppies are worse than cardinals in terms of bickering. Some of the wide tetra are nice - white fin rosy tetra; black phantom. In terms of pretty fishes there are lots to pick from - peacock gudeon; borelli apistogramma; (too many to list); ...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cardinals are nicer looking than neon and are quite tranquil just sitting around all day looking pretty. Guppies are worse than cardinals in terms of bickering. Some of the wide tetra are nice - white fin rosy tetra; black phantom. In terms of pretty fishes there are lots to pick from - peacock gudeon; borelli apistogramma; (too many to list); ...
Interesting what do you think some type of tetras with rummy noses and 4 angelfishes by my lfs has the blue angles and some koi and jus beautiful angels in my opinion so I was thinking of that but idk what other fishes can be added

·
Registered
580 Posts
I used to think streamline tetra (cardinals, rummy, ...) were ok with angels but I've been second thinking that as my angels get larger and my cardinals have occasionally showed up with damage; and I'm thinking I would go with larger tetra like phantom, white fin rosy, serpae, ... rummy are nice but small and angels can catch them if they want - black neon are a bit larger than cardinals and rummy but take a while to reach full size.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used to think streamline tetra (cardinals, rummy, ...) were ok with angels but I've been second thinking that as my angels get larger and my cardinals have occasionally showed up with damage; and I'm thinking I would go with larger tetra like phantom, white fin rosy, serpae, ... rummy are nice but small and angels can catch them if they want - black neon are a bit larger than cardinals and rummy but take a while to reach full size.
I would stay away from Serpae and angels, they can be a bit nippy and I would not want my Angels fins to be nipped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys . I got 16 Cardinals and 12rummy nose tetras.. they're still juvies.. given the size of my tank they're barely visible..

I have got 12 amanos in there.. they're juvies as well.. anyone keeps Bolivian rams with amanos . !!?? Or any other wide body tetras or some bigger fish that would be good to view from a distance..

The tank is around 6feet away from my couch .

·
Registered
580 Posts
ram will eat the tetra if they are small enough to fit in its mouth also they will go after the shrimp if they can catch them. As a general rule cichilid are meat eaters and will go after anything that will fit in their mouth; being non-aggressive just means it tends to not attack fishes for territorial reasons.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts