The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
283 Posts
I already said I'm not considering rams because the plan is for the betta to not die. I am definitely not overstocked with 6 embers and a betta. Thanks though.
I agree you are not over-stocked, right now. What is your filter, I supposse/assume you are over-filtered and planted? I don't follow the 1-inch rule myself, and I kind of despise being told to do so, by many members on these forums, who decide to follow the rule, and stick to the rule without doing further research or knowing specifics about our tanks, or their own tanks. A lot has to do with how well species in a tank are put together, with strong considerations on where in the water column they occupy.

I would say your idea for the small tetras should be fine, though I would research whether or not both schools are going to want to occupy the same space in the tank.

The one-inch rule is great for people new to the hobby, or who do not want to do in depth research. Those of us not so new to the hobby, can break the rule and keep happy fish, by carefully choosing species of fish, and by over-filtering the tank, as well as keeping a properly planted tank--and in doing so, still maintain great water quality and very happy fish :)

· Registered
283 Posts
IMO, 3 ottos would be fine. You have a heavily planted tank. So long as you have algae, I would not worry. Just note that ottos, have a high mortality rate. Keeping them alive can be a challenge. Don't expect to see them often either. They are great at hiding in nooks and crevices; much like their other Loricariidae bretheren, the famous Plecos.

· Registered
283 Posts
In my experience, Ottos are more likely to chill out on leaves of plants, glass, and the underside of heaters and filters, where you cannot see them....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.