The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 32 gallon tank finally cycled a few weeks ago and I was able to stock it over this past weekend. I added six harlequin rasboras, six otocinclus, and twelve amano shrimp. I'm adding two more rasboras and a similar sized school of celestial pearl danios from another tank.

I'd like to add a pair of german blue rams to the tank, but I'm not sure how the schools will do. I know there's a good chance that they'll try to eat the shrimp, but will they try to eat the rasboras and danios? Should I wait until the rasboras get bigger? The rasboras and danios are roughly 1" in length.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions of over fish to add to the tank? I'd like to maybe add one more type of fish above and beyond the rams, but will that be too much?

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Amano shrimp are larger than most of the other little shrimp, so are a bit safer from most fish. I am not sure about Rams eating Amanos, but I think the other (smaller) shrimp would fit in their mouths.

Generally Rams are fine with other species that swim higher in the tank like Rasboras and CPD. Otos are good at hiding, and are also OK with Rams.

As for more fish, I would like to see larger schools of the fish you have, not get more species.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm keeping Gold rams with Amanos, no problems. I have a good range of sizes with the 6 Amanos I have. From big mamas to juvenile. I also have 5 ghost shrimp in the tank. The only time the rams notice either is feeding time on occasion, and that's only to back them away from the food. That's with all the lifeforms in the tank though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. What would you consider to be a good school size? I'm aiming for 8 rasboras and maybe another 8 CPDs or emerald rasboras. Is there a fish that might be more interesting/different than CPDs or rasboras? I ask because I basically have two different rasboras in the tank so something different might be nice.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Based on what I've read so far I might go ahead and add Rams on the weekend.

The harlequin rasboras school together most of the time tbh. Sometimes the school will split in half but they end up meeting up again. I'm not sure that the CPDs will do the same though.

Any opinions on other types of fish?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Rams are going to be territorial about the bottom, but you could look into some upper level fish like Hatchets (covered tank only), or Honey Gourami.

Skip the CPD, change the Rasboras to one of the dwarf type (there are several species) and get 2 dozen. That will really be a school.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Ram's are waste of money in my view, unless you source them from breeder.
Poor stock generally from fish stores, and sensitive fish to boot.
Need warm/soft water, with near zero mineral content to do well past a few day's/week's.
Believe the 82 to 86 degree's F that the ram's enjoy to be too warm long term for many species.
Fully prepared now to hear from those who claim to keep them in rock hard Portland cement,and temp's more suited for goldfish.
Just sayin.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rams are going to be territorial about the bottom, but you could look into some upper level fish like Hatchets (covered tank only), or Honey Gourami.

Skip the CPD, change the Rasboras to one of the dwarf type (there are several species) and get 2 dozen. That will really be a school.
I debated Hatchetfish, but my tank has an open top and I'd like to keep it that way. In your second paragraph are you suggesting not to add the CPD's and to remove the harlequin rasboras or are you saying not to add CPD's or Emerald Rasboras and to keep the Harlequins? Is that not too many fish for the tank? I feel like two dozen would really crowd it.

Give your bacteria a few days to catch up, you dumped a lot of fish in, in one go.
Thanks for the reply. I'm keeping an eye on nitrate levels, so they will dictate whether or not I add the rams on the weekend. If they aren't where they should be, then I'll give it another week.

Ram's are waste of money in my view, unless you source them from breeder.
Poor stock generally from fish stores, and sensitive fish to boot.
Need warm/soft water, with near zero mineral content to do well past a few day's/week's.
Believe the 82 to 86 degree's F that the ram's enjoy to be too warm long term for many species.
Fully prepared now to hear from those who claim to keep them in rock hard Portland cement,and temp's more suited for goldfish.
Just sayin.
I've read both sides of this. Some people say that they're impossible fish to keep while others say they aren't. My understanding is that the biggest issues for them are high levels of nitrates, fluctuating pH, and being housed with more aggressive fish?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I couldn't keep Rams when I lived in an area with liquid rock tap water. Now I live in an area with moderately soft high ph water and my Gold Rams are thriving. They are LFS bought, not big box store. I think alot of people have trouble keeping big box store bought Rams alive, especially. I know I never bought a Ram that lived past a few weeks from Petsmart or Petco.

I have 4, 2 males 2 females. They test each other time to time and during feeding time the largest male will shoo away other fish/shrimps that get close to the food he wants. Rams are not on par with larger cichlids on the aggression scale by any means. It's not blind aggression. For example, it looks more like if you walked up to me at lunch and grabbed a french fry off my plate, I'd push you away. I'm territorial about my food too! My nitrates are between 40-60 at all times. I have a heavily planted 4 ft tank with driftwood.

This is my current experience. Rams that are able to thrive in the water you keep are a joy to have in the tank. If you really want Rams in your tank, go for it! Live and learn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.