The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 29g tank with lots of plants and hiding spots. I currently have a single clown pleco and i am getting other fish in about a month.

what I have :
  • Clown Pleco x1
  • Small Terracotta Pots x3
  • Amazon Sword x2
  • Apongaton x1
  • Primrose x 4
  • Watercress x2
  • Some other random Apongatons.
what I plan on getting :
  • Female Koi Betta x7
  • Ember Tetra x5
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?
What else should I have?

I also have driftwood and chola i forgot to add those to the list

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Have you done a sorority before? I've not and every time I've looked into it I am really discouraged by what I find. Some bigger youtubers have tried it as well and it fails on them as well (but on camera). Its apparently really hard to get them to all not murder each other. Hard to keep it that way since eventually one dies and the whole pecking order is disrupted. I'd have a bunch of tanks on hand as well to seperate them if it does turn sour.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
So I've just seen your setup (and commented on it) in another thread, and I really think you should reconsider a betta sorority. It seems to me that for a successful sorority, you really want to break up lines of sight as much as possible. Your tank is very "open" at the moment, and I can't see things working out well in the long term.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im am buying my bettas from a local breeder that keeps the females together. I have heard that this will lower agresion.
So I've just seen your setup (and commented on it) in another thread, and I really think you should reconsider a betta sorority. It seems to me that for a successful sorority, you really want to break up lines of sight as much as possible. Your tank is very "open" at the moment, and I can't see things working out well in the long term.
what do you think I should add?

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I have a large piece of driftwood that im gonna put in. I hate that to put in driftwood you have to put it in a bucket or something for days so it sinks.
You can sink driftwood quicker if you either a) boil it if you have a pot large enough (turning it over to get half of it each time is fair game) or b) putting something on it in the tank like a large rock or a bag of rocks.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
As long as you keep the wood fully submerged it should work. I've kept betta sororities before and since they've been raised together as long as you make certain there's enough hardscape and plants to break up lines of sight you should be all set. They will get more aggressive as they get older, towards ALL tank inhabitants, it's just their thing. I would suggest 3-5 as opposed to 7, though, considering tank dimensions on 29 gallons so they can set up their own "safe haven" spots to feed in should they get aggressive as they grow. As for other tank inhabitants- neon green rasbora, any of the small rasboras really, small bodied danio and tetra also work well, as long as they are not long finned or nippy. Cories do pretty well in betta sororities. The main thing with keeping multiple betta together is giving lots of space for them to establish themselves, giving them plenty of hardy, quick moving dither fish to pick on and using hardscaping and plants to break up sight lines and give everyone places to hide. Good luck!!

Oh- just remembered this from one from my betta breeding days- potted plants!! They can be moved where you need them when you notice sight lines. I'd also invest in a couple breeder boxes (not the clear ones) that attach to the tank at the water line to separate them if you have issues- it's much easier than setting up separate tanks and since you are going through a local breeder you should be able to return trouble makers pretty easily and quickly so you don't really need a permanent fix. Really hope this helps

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All the bettas im getting are about the same age, size, and are from the same group of fry. I have a small aquarium in case one of them is very aggressive or being picked on.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
It's really just a game of observation and patience. Every betta has a different personality. You just need to find the right group and give them enough space. It took me matching betta personalities from my fry groups to establish a sorority. It was all trial and error. Be prepared to break up fights when they get older. I had 2 sorority tanks, both in 30 gallon tanks and kept them from birth to death, the oldest was 7 years old when she passed, the youngest was 5 years. I had a wonderful betta sorority experience and have day dreamed about doing it again but I know better- I'll start breeding them again and 1 betta tank will turn into 20 10 gallon betta tanks and that is not where I want to put myself again 😂. I'm not going to lie and say it's easy but it is definitely a fun experience- not for a novices aquarist, though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My aquarium was setup about a month ago with me gradually putting in three plecos (none of which will grow over four inches). I have been doing research on betta tanks since January, and I know what problems I will most likely encounter. I am committed to this tank and I believe I am ready for the challenge of keeping these aggressive fish together! :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.