The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am starting my second nano-planted tank after being pretty happy with the results of my first (although there is definitely room for improvement).

The tank is ~5.5g (17" L x 9" W x 8" H). Once substrate goes in though - not left with too much height. There will be a central piece of driftwood coming up from the tank bottom and breaking through the water surface, as well as a couple of small rocks. Some rotala sp. in the background and Stauro repens in the foreground.

I am looking for stocking ideas. I already have CPDs, Microdevario nana and Yunnanilus sp. (Burmese Rosy loach) in my 10g tank - so those are out.

Since it is a small tank, I wouldn't mind either one bottom dweller and one top dweller, or just a single species that would be better alone - and gobies in particular have peaked my interest.

Anyway, the current options I have come up with are the following:

1) Vietnam White Could Minnows and Yunnanilus cruciatus
[STRIKE]2) Emerald dwarf rasbora and Yunnanilus brevis[/STRIKE]
3) Ember tetra and pygmy cory
4) Scarlet badis

The tank will be filtered with a Finnex 360 canister. Water is soft, and will be acidic as the tank will be planted with aquasoil.

I would love any other options people have or comments on the three proposed pairings.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not a huge fan of bettas - but the scarlet badis and pygmy sunfish look nice. I know it is harder (and more $) to find badis females - but would a pair be happy in a tank this size?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have CPDs in the my 10g - and I agree they are very nice little fish! But looking for something new for this tank. I like the Chili rasboras (that was actually the plan for my first tank) - but they seem to be hard to find recently.

I also eliminated D. erythromicron and Y. brevis as an option - as with a little more reading - the Y. brevis wouldn't do well in the acidic water - and both want the water a little harder than what I have.

Does anyone with ember tetras have an opinion on whether or not the tank dimensions (17x9x8) would be a little too tight for a group of 5 or so?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I have a group of 6 heterandria formosa in my 5. They're actually native livebearers, and very small. Lots of personality and extremely tiny (big females are about 1"). Also very hardy and seem to be highly adaptable. I have them with red rili shrimp, and some of the shrimp are bigger than they are! They'll take baby shrimp, but are so small that the shrimp grow past the danger zone quickly

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had 8 ember tetra in a 5 gallon with RCS. It didn't seem too cramped so I think 5 or so ember tetra would fit in your 5.5g. I do have to say though that when they were in the 5 gallon they were very shy and hid all day right above the substrate. Now I have them in a 10 gallon and they are out and about. It may be the WCMMs that are making them more brave or some other thing about the tanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.