The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to the hobby or at least unexperienced, as I have dabbled with aquariums for many years but never seriously until now. I have a twenty gallon right now that is on it's way to becoming fairly heavily planted with Rotala, Cabomba, Java moss. Currently I have a very unusual assortment of fish, which I won't get into. I have a pair of German rams right now, but I would like to add eight black phantom tetras and ten ghost shrimp. I was also considering adding some Cory's, three or four. Is all of that to much for a twenty gallon?

Also I have never had shrimp, so I am not sure if ten is too many but that is what was suggested to me. I am also not sure if ghost shrimp are the best choice. Does anyone have experience with ghost shrimp?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Welcome to the hobby!

In general, as far as stocking fish, it is acceptable to have 1 inch of fish per gallon. This value can either go up or down depending on the different variables in your tank. If the tank is extremley low tech for example, you may want "understock" (less than one inch of fish per gallon), in other cases when you have extremley good filtration and perfect water parameters (for your setup), you could "overstock" and be fine.

It also depends on the type of fish you have. More agressive fish need more room so you might want to "understock" with those. Other people have been sucessful by "overstocking" agressive fish to eliminate one fish being singled out.

Decor and other obstacles in the tank also depend on the amount of fish the tank is capable of sustaining. If the tank is fairly open, then you may want to stick with the one inch rule, or even "understock", however if your tank has many hiding spots/caves, you could "overstock" and be o.k. because the fish have getaways they can escape to.

Now as far as your tank

The rams will stay around the 3 inch mark, so two are fine.
The tetras also stay small, around an inch. They are schooling fish and stick together so that eliminates space they take up because they are close together. They also will mainly swim in the top half of the tank. As far as the ghost shrimp, those are mainly feeder shrimp (thats why they are usually so cheap). They will only live for a few months (the longest I had one live is 3 months). If you are interested in shrimp, then maybe just a shrimp only tank. I don't know a whole lot about shrimp but I know amano shrimp are bigger and the fish wont pick on them too much, so maybe a group of 4-5 amano shrimp would work, if not Cherry shrimp (RCS) are good entry level shrimp.

In general I think your stocklist should work fine. The Rams are peaceful for cichlids so that shouldn't be a problem. The only problem I forsee is you replacing the ghost shrimp so rapidly, not to mention they could be contaminated with disease if they are sold as feeders at your store.

I hope this helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.